Please sign in to post.

Advice needed for 14-day itinerary March 2024

Planning our honeymoon for Portugal! Are we trying to cram in too much? Now that I type it out we have more time in the Douro Valley than the Evora area, should we switch that around? Open to suggestions as we have not booked a lot yet!

Day 1: Arrive 8:15 AM Lisbon

Day 2: Lisbon

Day 3: Lisbon

Day 4: early AM train to Coimbra, stay overnight

Day 5: Coimbra in AM, then early afternoon train to Porto

Day 6: Porto

Day 7: Porto

Day 8: pick up rental car, head to Douro Valley (Lamego? open to suggestions)

Day 9: Douro Valley

Day 10: Douro Valley

Day 11: leisurely drive to Monsanto area? stay overnight somewhere

Day 12: leisurely drive to Evora area, arrive in afternoon/early evening

Day 13: Evora

Day 14: early start to drive back to Lisbon airport to return car, 10:15 AM flight

Posted by
1672 posts

The first part of your trip looks good to me, but the end might benefit from some tweaking.

First, what looks like a fairly short drive on the map or even on google, is not that short in actuality.

It’s a fair distance from the Douro to Monsanto, and would likely be a lot on small roads. The roads in that area are two lane with lots of curves. The same for the drive from Monsanto to Evora. And, i would not try to drive from Evora the morning of your flight. Especially, needing time to turn in your car.

I would suggest dropping one of these and returning to Lisbon the night before your flight. Evora is larger with more to see, but Monsanto is very unique.

Also, with that much time in the Douro, staying in a town with river views would be my preference. The views are stunning. And, you would likely have time to visit the Coa Valley. It’s pretty amazing.