Please sign in to post.

8-night Lisbon Itinerary

Hi all,

Planning a couple trips and I'd love opinions of the following itinerary for our family with three 20-something-year-old kids:

Late August 2023
-No rental car; public transportation only
-We love cafes, art museums, palaces, music, churches, hikes, coffee shops, bars
-5-6 nights in Chiado apartment, 2-3 nights in Sintra or Cascais apartment

Saturday: Arrive Lisbon, Guided Walking Tour, Kids to Barrio Alto
Sunday: Belem, Jerónimos Monastery, Evening at a Miradouro
Monday: Evora, the Se, lunch, Chapel of Bones
Tuesday: Lisbon, Museu Nacional do Azulejo, Santa Rosa Market, Stroll Alfama, Fado show/dinner
Wednesday: Sintra or Cascais
Thursday: Brasileira Cafe, Livraria Bertrand, Conventro do Carmo

Debating between spending the weekend in Sintra or Cascais. Sintra looks charming, lots to tour and beautiful hiking trails. But the crowds I have read about are frightening as I think if they are abundant the last weekend of August, they could ruin the weekend.

Cascais doesn't offer as much to do, but the kids would enjoy slowing down, the beach and I understand there is a local hike to do. The boys also may golf somewhere if they can rent clubs at Golf Club.

Friday: Cascais or Sintra
Saturday: Cascais or. Sintra

Sunday: Uber or car service to the airport. Early flights back to the U.S.

Would love any and all feedback on their 8-day and night itinerary.

Thank you!

Posted by
198 posts

We just got back from Lisbon Cascais.

For Lisbon, add Discovery Monument and the maritime museum.
For Cascais, it will be crowded in August. We stayed at the Albatroz hotel on the beach, which I recommend.

We Uber'd from Lisbon to Cascais and from Cascais to Airport.

Posted by
954 posts

Thank you Steven. Was there enough to do in Cascais for a few days? How long were you there?

I figured the American families will be back in school. But I believe the children in Portugal go back to school in mid-September.

Posted by
954 posts

We also will want to see the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum. And, we will want to hike during this week somewhere -- whether it's in Sintra-Cascais Natural Park.

I'm starting to think we should stay in Lisbon the entire 8 nights. Looking at flights from Los Angeles, it looks like we could land mid-day on Saturday so that day is almost a loss.

Posted by
31 posts

The Lisbon aquarium is absolutely awesome. There's a nearby sky cable car that runs along the river. Visit the awesome sculpture "Iberian Lynx". I prefer Parque de Nacoes to Belem. Don't miss the Gulbenkian. We very much enjoyed the Museu Nacional do Azulejo.

Posted by
4593 posts

Hi CaliMom, I'm just starting to look at your itinerary. Very exciting!

It caught my attention that you are scheduled to visit Jerónimos Monastery on a Sunday. I found on this website that the Church of Santa Maria de Belém, which is part of the monastery complex and free to enter, is open to visitors on Sundays from 2-6pm only, in August. I have not found that same information on the official website for the monastery, so you may wish to do further research to confirm and decide whether you still wish to visit on a Sunday, or at what time.

Posted by
4593 posts

land mid-day on Saturday so that day is almost a loss

That first night could be perfect to head up to a miradouro (perhaps in Bairro Alto, where the kids are staying) or head down to Praça do Comércio (adjacent to the water) to watch the sunset. Near the river, there are likely to be lively crowds and street performers, making for a fun atmosphere, and helpful if you're trying to stay awake that first evening until a reasonable hour.

When I was there on the weekends in October there was a handmade craft market that ran along the buildings that face Praça do Comércio. It was open until at least 5pm.

ETA: if you don't arrive in time for a guided walking tour, I did the Bairro Alto section of one of the Rick Steves walks in Lisbon on my first day. It takes you up to one of the big miradouros.

Posted by
4593 posts

Thursday: Brasileira Cafe, Livraria Bertrand, Conventro do Carmo

Due to a scheduling error (my own) I didn't go in the Convento, just walked around the outside of it. It didn't look huge. Perhaps someone who's been in can say for sure, but I imagine it might take an hour to visit. Per the official website, it's open until 7pm in August. Depending on when you get in and how close the kids are staying to it, you might be able to visit Convento do Carmo on your arrival day as part of a Bairro Alto walk and program to stay awake.