Please sign in to post.

30 days in Portugal in March 2023

My wife and I took the 12-day, Heart of Portugal Rick Steves tour in March 2022. We were so enthralled with the country and people that we are planning a 30 day trip in March of 2023. Our plan is to spend the time in one location and use public transportation for day trips. We very much liked Lisbon, but are thinking we would like to stay outside of the city, within an hour or so train ride. Someone recommended the town Setubal. Would appreciated any thoughts or experiences with this plan. We have not completely ruled out staying in Lisbon.
Ed

Posted by
11159 posts

With thirty days, have you considered two bases? We especially loved the Minho region north of Porto.

Posted by
1675 posts

I’m not certain Setubal is the best base, but it’s also not my favorite area. The public transport isn’t as good as closer to Lisbon. There are many towns on the commuter train line between Lisbon and Cascais that might appeal to you, and being on the train line would enable you to do more travel. The Silver Coast area is also nice but you would need a car.

Posted by
7672 posts

Porto and the Douro River Valley are amazing. Why not split your time between the Lisbon area and Porto and the Douro.

If you stay in Porto, try to book the wonderful B&B, The In Patio Guesthouse. It only has five rooms, but it is the BEST B&B that we have ever stayed in.

Posted by
954 posts

Following along as Portugal is on my short list. :) We, too, are considering it for a month's stay. We also want to pick a town/city and settle in... live like locals, take day trips or even weekend trips.

Why not stay right in Lisbon for the month? I have never been but am curious.

Looking forward to what you decide :)