Please sign in to post.

10 days or so Portugal tour in early April 2022

My husband and I would like to spend a couple of days in Lisbon, go to Sintra, see the big waves and the village of Navare, go to Evora, and spend a few days on the Algarve (maybe Salema and Lagos but open to suggestions), hiking and relaxing and maybe even getting in a game of golf. Does anyone have a suggested itinerary so that fitting in all those places makes sense? We fly in and out of Lisbon.

We were thinking we'd skip Porto but is that a terrible idea?

We're happy to either drive or take public transportation, whichever is more time-efficient and easier.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
169 posts

HI Amy:
With a relatively short time to explore - maybe focus on Lisbon ( + Sintra "day"), Evora and Algarve. My understanding is the huge Nazare waves mainly are in Oct. Nov.... so you might not see much other than "ocean".

Will you have a car? If so a loop - arrive - short drive to to Evora, then Algarve and end back in Lisbon might make sense. IF you would be good after long flight and possible jet lag. This "loop" might also be done by public transport - but need to check schedules (I'm using Rome2rio to start the route searches).

Have fun planing and on the trip.

Posted by
6113 posts

With a 10 day timescale in early April, I would focus on Lisbon, Porto and the towns in between. Is the Algarve a must? If it is, the golf is better in the central or eastern Algarve, as it can be exceptionally windy towards the west (Lagos and Salema). Many restaurants close in Salema for the winter and early April maybe too early for places to have reopened, so I would opt for Lagos of these two. However, I would head to Tavira in the east at that time of year if it had to be the Algarve. It may or may not be dry, warm weather in the Algarve then.

Lisbon can easily fill 3 days plus another day trip to Cascais. There is plenty golf and hiking on the Silver Coast. You maybe too late to catch the big waves in April in Nazare (I am not a Nazare fan). The towns of Evora, Alcobaca, Batalha, Obidos, Coimbra and Tomar are all worth a visit.

Porto is compact and can be seen in a full day, so a good day trip is the Douro.