Please sign in to post.

10 days in the Azores in March/April 2018

We are planning to travel to the Azores next Mar./Apr. 2018 & will spend 8-10 days. Other than S.Miguel, which island(s) would you recommend. We are 4 mature (60+) travellers not really wanting to do much in the way of sport activities other than a little hiking, largely just sightseeing & enjoying the local culture, food & wine. Pico & S.Maria both look enticing. Would we be stretching trying to do 3 islands in the one trip?
We will be coming from Madeira after spending 8-10 days there & after the Azores plan to spend 4 days in Lisbon before heading home. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted by
471 posts

I would love to email to you my PDF guide for the islands of the Azores I have visited, including Sao Miguel and Santa Maria. I also made a scavenger hunt for Santa Maria that would fit the bill for what you are looking for. If you want them, I need your email address either here or through a private message. I will be visiting the islands (Sao Miguel and Santa Maria) again this summer and will be updating my research and adding more info. It will be the first time visiting Flores, so that island will have its' own section as well.

I also have a WORD doc. from our visit to Madeira in 2010. We were there for a week and had a great time. We ented 2 apartments on the ocean, about 5 minutes from the airport. Madeira is very different from Lisbon and the Azores islands. It is not as beautiful and lush as the Azores and very little animals grazing. But it is unique and worth a one week visit for everyone.

If it was me planning this trip, I would start in Lisbon as there is where your major sightseeing will take place, along with the hustle and bustle of a big city visit. Next would be Madeira, a tourist island with lots to see and do. There are more venues there for your tourist Euros than the Azores, but less than Lisbon.

Last would be a taste of heaven, Sao Miguel and Santa Maria! You will be able to SLOW down your travel pace, and transform yourself from a tourist to a local. These 2 islands are authentic Portuguese locations that have not really changed much in over 500 years of settlement. Sure, they have all the modern amenities, but you will still see and experience their customs and ways that have been celebrated since the voyages of Christopher Columbus! I explain in detail all you need to know in the PDF.

Some quick thoughts...keep the Azores visit to 2 islands only. Savor the time on each, as 10 days will fly by! Visit Youtube to check out many videos depocting Madeira, Sao Miguel and Santa Maria. Review airline schedules for 2017 to prepare for next year. Books flights early to save $$$, and that time of year should not be very expensive anyhow.

Congratulations on planning an unforgettable trip...you will not be disappointed!!!