Please sign in to post.

1 week in Portugal in late April 2022

Our group is 7 adults and we are going to stay in Lisbon for 7 full days. We were discouraged on an earlier post to skip the Algarve area so this is what we are thinking:
Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Lisbon (including Belem) doing the Rick's walks and sightseeing.
Then a series of day trips.
Monday, go to Sintra by train, including the Pena palace, Moorish castle and Quinta de Regaleira.
Tuesday, go to Evora by train, to see the Bone Chapel, Roman Ruins and whatever else we can squeeze in.
Wednesday, go to Obidos by bus and Batalha to see the monasteries.
Thursday, go to Coimbra by train and do Rick's walk, Conimbriga, hear some Fado and visit the University.
We fly out on Friday.
I would love to get comments if any of these day trips are not worth it and suggestions about what not to miss, hidden gems, etc.
I love this forum.

Posted by
1570 posts

I have only been to Lisbon, which I love, and to Sintra as a day trip. So I can't comment on your other day trip locations. But one suggestion I have would be to spend a couple nights in Sintra. I wish we had the time to do that. Sintra is very popular and very crowded with tour buses during the day. I think it would be a lovely place to spend a few nights, to be their in the evenings when the tour buses have left. Additionally, there is so much to see and do there so you certainly wouldn't be bored.

Also, since you have eliminated the Algarve, perhaps spending a day in Cascais and Estoril would be nice to have the coastal ambiance and beautiful ocean views. We took a bus tour to Sintra for part of the day, and then the tour continued on to Cascais and Estoril. It was a quick visit but we always thought it would have been nice to spend more time there.

Four day trips would be too much for me. I think they can be tiring after awhile; however, that is my opinion, and not necessarily your opinion.

Sintra is certainly doable as a day trip. Have you researched the other day trips you mention? Are they doable? Or would they be really long and tiring days?

Posted by
2923 posts

You are trying to see way too much. Rick Steves self-guided walking tours are excellent but you should take one per day because there’s a lot to see and do if you want to enjoy the ambience. How about:
Fri – Alfama Stroll and the Castle
Sat – Baixa Stroll
Sun – Bairro Alto and Chiado Stroll
Mon – Belem
Tue – day trip to Sintra
Wed – day trip to Sintra
Thu – day trip to Évora
Fri – day trip to Óbidos
Assume you’ll be back and see the rest of PT then.

Posted by
1654 posts

I agree that you are trying to do too much. I, personally, would pick two day trips that you mention and leave the rest for another trip. Coimbra is a bit far for a day trip and doing the city, Conimbriga and fado in one day trip isn’t doable, IMO.

I would chose Sintra and Evora. They are very different cities but both are very interesting. There are enough things in Lisbon to keep you busy the rest of the time. But, coming out to Cascais is very easy and quick, if you want a glimpse of a seaside town.

One of the things I love about Portugal is long lunches on miradouros and the slow pace of life. Rushing around will not give you that taste of the real Portugal.

Posted by
247 posts

I was just in Lisbon and think your plan is doable and realistic. do budget extra time for herding 7 people and for unforseen activities (like a long lunch :p)

I loved walking around Lisbon. Belem, Sintra and Evora and definitely worth the day trip.
four day trips might be much, so keep it flexible if you can. I wouldn't worry about missing any gems on a 7 day tour. Cascias is a cute beach town/city and you can do it on the Belem day. I wouldn't call it unmissable - but then I haven't been to Obidos and Coimbra so not sure how it compares. Belem is closed on mondays so your plan is good. the Atlantic ocean and water is cold, good to give Algarve a miss.

Posted by
11 posts

I want to thank all of you for your excellent comments. By staying in Lisbon we will be able to skip one or more of these day trips. Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to add your advice.

Posted by
159 posts

Coimbra is a great city, but I agree with an earlier post that it is not really a "day trip" destination; I would recommend at least three nights, though even one might just suffice. And though listening to fado in Coimbra is an excellent idea, that's usually done in the evening, when you'll probably have to return to Lisbon for the next day's flight.

Posted by
125 posts

Hi... very ambitious tour and personally I think you will spend more time on transportation than seeing sights. Coimbra is a full day in itself and you would need transportation to the ruins, probably a taxi. Obidos again a full day.. my suggestion is take a tour that encompasses some of yiyr places. Cool Tours or Inside Lisbon would help you and well worth the cost.

Posted by
1044 posts

We just came back from spending 7 nights in Lisbon. For us, we decided to go to Evora and Sintra for our day trips which I felt worked out well. Not too much time on a train.

The rest of your day trips, I'd just see how you feel and decide the night before if you want to head out on another adventure, or just wander around Lisbon and see what you discover. I don't think there is a need to have everything completely planned out.

Train tickets/bus tickets can be purchased the same day.

Posted by
11 posts

Gail,
I have several questions for you. How could I contact you directly?
Nancy