Hi everyone, thanks in advance for all of your advice!
We are currently planning a weeklong vacation in Portugal for April 2018. Based on my vacation schedule (one week with the weekends on both ends):
- Depart Boston Friday April 13 PM, land in Lisbon Saturday morning
- Depart Porto Saturday April 21 returning to Boston
- There is a possibility of leaving Porto on Sunday April 22
April 14-16 Lisbon (2 nights)
April 17 train to Sintra, stay 1 night overnight
April 18 afternoon - rent a car (?) to drive to Coimbra, stay overnight
April 19 (PM) drive or train (?) to Porto
We haven't booked flights yet but figured it might be best to fly in/out of different parts of Portugal to save the travel time back to Lisbon. We also chose to land in Lisbon first so that the weather had another few days to warm up as we work our way north. What do you all think?
- We would like to spend a little time in the Duoro Valley seeing the landscape. Neither of us drinks port, but hear that the landscape is not to be missed
- Any recommended hikes around Lisbon or Porto?
- Is it necessary/better for us to rent a car or should we rely on trains?
- Any other tips? Especially restaurants, bed and breakfasts, sights, etc. We have literally nothing booked right now and are in the early stages of planning.
We like a healthy mix of nature/hiking and urban environments and know that mid-April is not the ideal time to travel. Unfortunately, my vacations are set 12 months in advance so can't do anything about that.
Thanks so much!