Please sign in to post.

where to stay in Krakow

I plan to be in Krakow in early May. Where would you suggest i stay while in Krakow? I will be there about a week. Suggestions appreciated. I would like to be within walking distance of the train station. thank you

Posted by
2020 posts

Our trip was a while ago but we really liked the Hotel Wielopole. The room was comfortable, the bathroom was spacious and immaculate and the staff were gracious and helpful. They offered us a reduced price when we checked in as the rate had declined since my reservation, which still pleasantly surprises me The breakfast was a very large buffet with eggs etc. on request. This was all pre-Covid. It was about a pretty 20 minute walk through the park from the train station and less than 10 minute walk to Rynek Główny. They helped us arrange tours to Auschwitz as well. Very pleased all the way around. Safe travels.

Posted by
26833 posts

I am wondering whether a lot of Krakow hotel rooms may currently be housing Ukrainian refugees. I'd be inclined to check the level of availability on booking.com to see whether you need to grab something suitable right away.

At the time of my 2018 trip to Krakow, advance-purchase tickets for Auschwitz were sold out for 8 days into the future. I don't know what the situation is like now, but you probably should get that ticket before you leave home if you want to see Auschwitz. There is public-bus service to the camp from the Krakow bus station, which is located sort of beyond the train station. All tours at the camp are conducted by camp employees, so there isn't necessarily a big advantage to taking a commercial tour. I believe I bought my bus ticket one day ahead of time.

The Schindler Factory is a nother high-demand sight. I think it was selling out a day or two ahead of time back in 2018.

Posted by
740 posts

My RS Eastern Europe tour stayed at Hotel Francuski in 2013. Nice hotel. Three blocks to main square. Very close to train station.

Posted by
7049 posts

I would stay in Old Town (Stare Miasto, centrally located) or Kazimierz (Jewish Quater to the south, short walk away) although I don't know if you'd consider 20-30 minutes on foot to be "walking distance" (I guess it depends on how much luggage you have). Look on www.Booking.com for hotel rooms, you'll easily be able to locate all distances from that website. I wouldn't stay super close to the train station - partly because there's no real reason to (Krakow is very compact and transport is very cheap if you do need it) and also because the train station (at least now) is very crowded sith Ukrainian arrivals. I don't know what the situation will look like in May. I would book your lodging as soon as you can.

Posted by
11053 posts

Look at the Amber Hotel. Wonderful staff who arranged both airport transfers and a day trip to Auschwitz for us. We had a very quiet room in the rear.

Posted by
251 posts

Bracka 6 apartments, absolutely! Stunning boutique hotel rooms in a historic, restored tenement building one block off Rynek old town square and the cloth market outfitted with slick little kitchenettes perfect for an extended stay. We were so well taken care of and the room pristine. It was our favorite hotel over the course of three weeks last October. Our room was less than $100/night. It’s about a 20 minute walk to the train station or you can catch a tram. It’s in a secured building on the second and third floors with beautiful elevator. When you arrive, use the call buttons to reception to buzz you in the door. You’ll get your own code to access the building. Poland is beautiful and the people incredible.

Posted by
167 posts

Downtown Apartments Crakow is close to the train and bus station and the Rynek. Great experience there!

Posted by
2922 posts

The old town is closer to the train station than Kazimierz the Jewish Quarter.

Posted by
12 posts

I've stayed at the hotel Campanile which is a short walk from the city centre. Nice hotel and good breakfast.

Posted by
188 posts

We stayed near the old town center in 2009 at Globetrotter-I think it was called. Got the idea from Rick’s Eastern Europe book-I think. Nice people. They arranged for a driver and he bought our concentration camp tickets and drove us between the 2 camps. No air conditioner back then. I don’t know if they are still in business. Good luck. You will love Krakow