Please sign in to post.

When to go summer 2019, RS Eastern Europe tour.

I will be a solo traveler going on my first RS tour. I’ve been many times to Europe before traveling with friends, family and children.
My question is, I’m pretty open when I go from late May thru July, suggestions on May June or July departures? Weather and crowds are the things I’ll wondering about.
Ideas?

Posted by
3224 posts

I think you are asking when is the best time to go for great weather and few crowds?

I don’t think there will be a big difference from May to July. That is summer travel season and if you have spent time on this forum, then know that it will be crowded. No one knows weather for sure, but you can look up average temps for that time on the tour page.

Posted by
2375 posts

I think crowds will increase as you go from May to July when considering American tourists. There do tend to be a number of May holidays in European countries--perhaps early June would be your best bet.

Posted by
3900 posts

May is the ideal time to visit Czechia, Poland, Hungary etc. The trees will be in bloom, temperatures warm up (but still not too humid), and the patios will open for outdoor dining. It will be less crowded than in the high summer months too. There will also be many local events and festivals held in May, like Prague's annual Beer Festival, that usually runs from May 10 - May 26, or the Gourmet Fesztivál in Buda, that runs from May 16 - May 19.

Posted by
6788 posts

Definitely May is "better" than July, for both heat and crowds. The earlier the better.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks for the reply’s, it’s what I expected. I will go as early as I can.

Posted by
671 posts

May is a popular time for this tour. The tour leaving May 12 is already full and the one leaving May 19 is "filling fast". The only other tour that is already full is the one leaving September 8.

Posted by
14507 posts

Since this is your first tour, May is probably a better month. Each of the 3 times I was in Budapest, it was in the second half of May, likewise in Czechia in the Moravian area and in Prague. Visiting Poland was different, those 3 trips were always in July amidst that summer time heat.

The size of crowds vary in May. It's very possible in Budapest you will run into crowds pouring out of tour buses as I saw them near the Mathias Church, a significant historical site as well as cultural.

Posted by
242 posts

May is a great month to visit Poland. I have been there three times in May and the crowds are more manageable and the weather was lovely, except for two rainy days out of about 40.

Posted by
8 posts

Definitely July departures; Polish weather is not so reliable in May/ June. Unless of course, you are a fan of heavy storms and rainy days :)