First post here. Gave up on trip advisor and was told I would get first class assistance here.
I'm traveling to Poland in early Fall for 16 days (14 days boots on the ground). Here is what I have planned so far:
1) Arrive in LVIV, UKRAINE from USA. Spend 4 days in LVIV old town, taking a day trip to surrounding areas.
2) Fly from LVIV to KRAKOW POLAND. Spend 4 days in Krakow area, also taking day trips. This is reserved with airline and hotel reservations made. It is set in stone and can't be altered.
3) My return flight leaves from Warsaw. We plan on renting a car in Krakow and working our way back towards Warsaw over the last 6 days.
My dilemma is where to visit during this time. Lviv and Krakow are very large cities and we'd like to see some smaller cities with historical significance that were not totally destroyed during the WW2. Here are some of my ideas so far:
1) Take rental car from KRAKOW to SANDERMIEREZ for 2 days and then to ZAMOSC for 4 days, exploring the surrounding areas.
2) Take rental car from KRAKOW to TORUN for 4 days and take day trip to MALBORK CASTLE and surrounding areas.
Our interests are old architecture, shopping, maybe day hikes, castles, beer and local food and especially old town areas. Anything historical.
Any opinions on my trip or any other suggestions on how to use up 6 days while heading back to Warsaw airport? I'm open to all opinions and none of these are set in stone except the Krakow and Lviv portion. Any help greatly appreciated First time in this part of the world for both of us. Thanks