Please sign in to post.

Transportation from the airport to my hotel and other questions

Hello everyone.In October, I will be visiting Krakow. I would like to ask you a few questions ( I know that they are a lot of questions but I didn't want to post three different topics.)
1) I will be staying at Eden Hotel ( 15 Ciemna Street). I was wondering if there is a way to get to the hotel from the airport by public means of transport and if so, how? I know I can get a taxi or something like that but I believe it would be more expensive.
2) I love parks and in general green spaces and I would like to ask if there are such places near at my hotel and how I can get there.
3) I would like definitely to visit Auschwitz. I know that there are guided tours but I don't know how to "book" a place.Finally, I would like to ask if there is a possibility for them to pick me up from my hotel or should I meet them in a different "meeting point" to get there?
I would like to thank you in advance for your time and answer.
I hope I'm not bothering you so much.

Posted by
2602 posts

I visited Krakow in 2015 and took a taxi from the airport--not a very long trip and I recall it wasn't very costly. Jet-lagged solo traveler and I didn't feel like I wanted to deal with a bus into town.

Krakow's main square, the Rynek Glowny, is full of lots to see, do and eat--usually full of food & craft stalls and live music--and it's encircled by a green space called the Planty, cool and shady on a hot day, benches to sit on, and a couple of restaurants with outdoor areas where it's lovely to sit and have a drink.

I took a guided tour to Auschwitz, small group of 10 which was comfortable, booked through Viator and they picked me up at my hotel that was near the main square, once at Auschwitz we were met by a guide who took over and it included Birkenau as well.

Posted by
15585 posts

I stayed at a hotel quite close to the Eden. It's a pretty quiet area, the old Jewish quarter. I don't remember much in the way of parks. The Planty, as Christa notes, is a green area, though not very wide and with traffic on the streets that surround it.

I also vote for taking a taxi from the airport. The small streets can be confusing at first. Once you've had a couple hours to walk around and get oriented, you'll find it pretty easy to find your way around town. If you want to take a taxi in the city, note that you cannot hail taxis like you would in most places. You must order one or walk to a taxi stand.

I recommend taking the Jewish Quarter free walking tour (tip expected) for a good orientation and a lot of history and interesting tidbits. The Old Town tour as well. The Jewish Quarter tour ends at the Schindler Museum so it's a good idea to take the morning tour, then visit the museum (it's one of the best). Then you can take the tram back to Kazimierz and your hotel.

Posted by
27122 posts

You usually have to buy a Schindler-factory ticket in advance; it can be done online. I opted for the first time-slot, and when I arrived at the museum ten minutes before opening time, there was already a sign posted, saying there were no tickets available for the day. It's not as tight as Auschwitz, but still not a spur-of-the-moment site. There's a contemporary art museum next door and a glass factory across the street.

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you very much Chani and Acraven for your information. I will definitely visit Schindler Factory-Museum. Thanks once again! :)

Posted by
15585 posts

My visit was in September. I booked the Schindler Museum in advance because I went on a Monday when it's free and tickets go quickly. I got there at the end of the Jewish walking tour around 12.15 and tickets seemed to be available on the spot. I don't know if they are all free on Monday or only the pre-booked ones. The tickets are only about $6-7 so it's not a big thing.

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you very much Kama2598 and Chani for your really useful information.Just one last question please: Schindler's Factory or Museum is the same thing, right?

Posted by
27122 posts

It is the same place. I think the official name may be "Schindler Factory Museum". Expect it to be crowded, which may slow you down a bit, but the audio-guide helps since you don't necessarily have to stand with your nose pressed right up against a display case in order to read explanatory material.

The subject matter of the museum is broader than the name indicates. I was sorry that I didn't have time to watch all the (subtitled) videos by people who actually worked for Schindler. They're on video screens, all in one place. That's information that doesn't duplicate what you might encounter in other museums/memorials on WW II and the holocaust.

Posted by
3853 posts

Near the Schindler factory is Ghetto Heroes Square with its unique memorial. Facing the square on one corner is Under the Eagle Pharmacy, now a small museum. If you have time to read a short book before your trip, The Krakow Ghetto Pharmacy by Tadeusz Pankiewicz is worthwhile. Pankiewicz was a Polish Gentile pharmacist who declined the Nazi offer to move his pharmacy out of the newly-created ghetto and was allowed to continue running it there. The book is his eye-witness account of what happened in the ghetto. Like Schindler, he is recognized as one of the "Righteous among the Nations."

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you very much Acraven.Thank you also Dave for your suggestion.I didn't know it but I will check it because it seems really interesting!Thank you all once again!