Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Poland

I have a read a few varying reports on tipping in Poland. Some saying just round up your bill to nearest dollar. Others saying round up to nearest 5 or 10 percent. Any rules there for dining, taxis and hotels?

Posted by
8445 posts

Larry, no replies yet so I'll chime in. Locals (unanimously - and I like to ask these questions) told us that tipping beyond a round-up was a foreign intrusion. Not something they do, but servers are learning to expect it from big-spending wealthy Americans. Rounding up (zloty, not dollars) was partially to avoid excessive small change. I did tip some hotel people American-style who did favors for us. The motivation was to reward exceptional service, not subsidize wages.

Posted by
42 posts

Hi Larry,
It probably depends on who you discuss this with :)
All my friends (and myself) tip restaurant waiters 10% of the bill. It's European standard. We all live in a city, work in the office, travel a lot, etc.
However, there are also many people who think that it's not necessary to tip waiters or taxi drivers.
General conclusion: the more Pole travels, the bigger tips he leaves ;)
You can check this website for more insights about Polish lifestyle: https://overhere.eu/

Posted by
72 posts

Thank you. Heading to Warsaw in 15 minutes, Looking forward to it. Appreciate your help!