Please sign in to post.

Poland to close its borders + new containment measures this Sunday (15/3/2020)

"Poland will ban foreigners from entering the country from Sunday and impose a 14-day quarantine on its citizens returning home in a bid to curb the spread of coronavirus. The new measures include the suspension of international rail and air connections from midnight on Saturday; a ban on foreigners entering the country; mandatory two-week quarantine for Poles returning from abroad.

The measures will initially apply for 10 days, but can be extended by a further 20, and if necessary again, by a further month. Mr Morawiecki also said that restaurants and bars would have to shut down, while in shopping malls only supermarkets, dry cleaning shops and pharmacies would be allowed to stay open. Public gatherings involved more than 50 people will be banned. "This is the last moment for decisive action," said Poland's health minister Lukasz Szumowski."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-poland-foreigners/poland-to-close-borders-to-foreigners-from-sunday-idUSKBN21031F

Posted by
4601 posts

Thanks for the notice, Carlos. I'm still hopeful for my September trip to Poland.

Posted by
3844 posts

I feel like some government official's brother is a dry cleaner.

Posted by
3901 posts

I feel like some government official's brother is a dry cleaner.

Hmmm... I could not understand this reference?

Posted by
4601 posts

It seems strange to us/me that dry cleaners are mentioned as staying open. Though I don't see that in the linked article. Perhaps in Poland there is more reliance on dry cleaner shops for the everyday necessity of clean clothes?

Posted by
23 posts

Our trip starting April 27 is looking less and less likely. I'm waiting to hear if/when our Brit Airways flight is cancelled (LHR to Warsaw).

Posted by
3844 posts

Yes, it seems unusual to me that dry cleaning shops would need to be open (though perhaps not laundries). Maybe I need to put "importance of dry cleaning" on my list of learning objectives for my fall Poland trip!

Posted by
7049 posts

I'm from Poland and can assure everyone that there is "something lost in translation" here regarding dry cleaning establishments.

Posted by
3901 posts

Perhaps it is the lack of personal drying machines inside Polish homes? I've noticed that most of the washing in Poland is put out on the balcony to dry. Maybe it's not so effective during the rainy season of March and April?

Posted by
7049 posts

You can literally have a clothesline (or rack) in the bathroom (that's what I do here even though I have a dryer). Some laundry machines are two-in-one. Poland is not that different than the rest of Europe - tight spaces in bathrooms. But I can't remember seeing dry cleaners, maybe laundromats but not dry cleaners. Pressing is done with an ironing board and iron, just like anywhere else.

Posted by
3901 posts

I see... well maybe there is some kind of "dry cleaning mafia" pulling the strings in Poland, that's the only other logical explanation lol! ;-)

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for posting. We're awaiting Lufthansa's cancellation of our April 14th RT flight. Such a lot of planning and now it may be years until we can enjoy traveling again