Please sign in to post.

Poland and Lithuania

My husband and I are staying with family in Estonia for one week. We then have another week to travel on our own-June 26-July 3. We would like to go to Poland (Warsaw and maybe Krakow) and Lithuania (Vilnius). We are flying back to US from Vilnius. We wanted to take a ferry from Tallinn to Poland and trains from there. Any suggestions for transportation, hotels in Warsaw, Krakow and Vilnius, special events, etc.

Posted by
8421 posts

Susan
looks like not much experience with your itinerary. I will say that Warsaw is very up to date modern city - go for the museums and history. Krakow is most peoples' favorite as it is well preserved, beautiful old town square and just plain charming. You can also visit Auschwitz from there. Train from Warsaw to Krakow I think is about 3 1/2 hours. I would guess that flying from Krakow back to Vilnius would be best way to save time (just a guess). Look at LOT Airlines airfare. There is very good info on hotels at the TripAdvisor website, and if you can find the forum sections there, they have forums specific to Warsaw and Krakow, with some regular contributors that are very helpful in answering any questions. If you are looking for lower end accommodations, the Rick Steves Snapshot guide for Warsaw, Krakow and Gdansk (one book) has good info.

Posted by
3250 posts

We have not been to Poland but enjoyed 4 days in Vilnius. We can recommend (hotel) Domus Maria for it's great location, reasonable price, and hospitality.

Posted by
792 posts

Hi Susan,
I have not been to Lithuania but I have been to both Warsaw and Krakow. I think they are both worth the visit. As the other poster said, I think most people prefer Krakow. Krakow is one of my favorite cities. It is beautiful, charming, and friendly. Warsaw is a very interesting city because there are so many different aspects to the city- an Old Town that is reminiscent of Krakow (even though it was rebuilt), a large beautiful park,a main street with high end restaurants and shops, big gray block buildings built when Poland was occupied.

The train ride between the two cities is short and easy. In Warsaw, we stayed at the Radisson blu. In Krakow we rented an apartment through Krakow apartments. No complaints in either instance.