Please sign in to post.

Night train from Kraków to Vienna

Want to go to Vienna via night train from Kraków in two weeks. Please advise. Thank you.

Posted by
6788 posts

My only advice is, if you have never been on a night train, just be aware that for some (many) people, there's no chance of getting any sleep at all, due to the constant motion and ear-piercing train noise, even under the most "perfect" conditions (private cabin, full pillows and blanket, no security worries, good ear plugs, etc.). All the inevitable motion and noise on a train can (and does) result in a lot of misery not just that night, but even more so over the following few days, as you stumble along in a sleep-deprived state until you eventually "catch up".

If you are a light sleeper, you are far better off getting an actual night's sleep in a hotel. If you are one of those people who can sleep even under the most challenging conditions (lucky you), then go for it. But for some of us, "night train" = "I was miserable for 1 night and the next 3 days." Tried it 3 times, in 3 different countries, results were exactly the same.

For me, never again. YMMV.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks David. Much appreciate.
Motion is not an issue for us.
Need to know about which train/site to go through and take. Also, if any switching of trains will be required.

Posted by
20081 posts

I gave you the website. It is a direct train Krakow to Vienna.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks again Sam. Got my reservation through your recommendation. Was very easy. Got what we wanted.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

The advantage to going by night train here is that it is direct, Krakow to Wien Hbf. You don't need to transfer.

When I take night trains, three on this last trip in May, I look for certain factors, such as arriving at least at 0500 hrs, it's direct, ie, no transferring at 2 am or something like that, other than that I have no problems at all using this option. The locals do it, why can't you.

Posted by
5381 posts

Locals do not take night trains. They fly cheap airlines.

Posted by
77 posts

I took the night train and it was an experience. I wouldn't say it was a comfortable experience though. My best overnight experience was on a DB trip from Amsterdam to Copenhagen. Comfortable room and bed. Breakfast was served in my compartment.

Glad I took the overnight from Vienna to Kraków primarily to save money on accommodations. Not sure it was worth it.