Please sign in to post.

May 2024 Poland Itinerary Help Before Greece

So my wife and I are planning a 6-7 night trip to Poland this May. We leave Chicago on May 10th and land in Poland around 14:00 on May 11th, and the only obligation we have is we have to be on Mykonos May 21st. We will be traveling to Greece after Poland for a family vacation in Mykonos, but would like to spend at least a night or 2 in Athens. We will be staying in Warsaw the nights of 11th and 12th at least and think leaving the 13th. I heard Warsaw is fine but there is much more to see in Poland than the capital. I was then planning we would head to Krakow and be there from 13th - 17th or 18th. The plan is to spend time in Krakow, visit Auschwitz and visit Wieliczka. How many nights in Krakow would you recommend to enjoy the city and experience the history around it? The nonstop flights form Krakow to Athens are in the evening at 16:10 on 5/17 and 19:15 on 5/18. I guess just looking for advice if we should stay longer in Warsaw and do a day trip around there or add another day trip around Krakow. We definitely plan to base in both of those cities.

Also, if anyone has been to Athens, any advice on how long to stay would help because it sounds like a night or 2 is enough to see the sites. (We don't plan on any other nights outside of Athens and Mykonos so only looking for daytrips).

Posted by
2955 posts

Warsaw deserves a minimum of two nights. Krakow deserves a minimum of three nights and if you add a couple day trips make it five nights. Athens deserves three nights.

Posted by
86 posts

Warsaw: 5/11-5/13
Krakow: 5/13-5/18
Athens: 5/18-5/21
Adds up to your recommendations but interested to hear what others think

Posted by
4083 posts

Because 1) Warsaw is larger and sights are spread out more; and 2) you don’t arrive on the 11th till mid-afternoon probably with some jet lag, I recommend taking two of your nights (since the flight leaves late on the 18th) from Krakow and giving to Warsaw.
May 11: Arrive, get to city center, check in. Sleep Warsaw. You’ll have dinner, but no real sightseeing time this day.
May 12-14: Warsaw, sleep Warsaw
This is 3 days, which isn’t much.
May 15: Morning train to Krakow, sleep Krakow. At best, this gives you half a day.
May 16-17: Krakow, sleep Krakow.
May 18: Krakow most of the day, evening flight to Athens, sleep Athens
This gives you two full days and 2 partial days.
May 19-20: Athens, sleep Athens
Two full days for Athens, which will work.
May 21: transfer to Mykonos.