Please sign in to post.

Getting from Prague to Krakow by Train

In May my husband and I would like to go from Prague to Krakow, not using buses or planes. Is the overnight train the most direct way to go? It's hard to decifer the train schedules & prices on the Web. Anybody have a good Website that are easy to figure out? and should I buy the tickets online before leaving home? or get them there? Thanks, Susan

Posted by
35 posts

Hi Susan, In August 2013 I went from Prague to Krakow by taking an overnight train. It was great; even though I missed most of the scenery due to traveling at night. I had a private sleeper and it was one of the best night's sleep I had on the whole two week trip. I purchased my ticket through Rail Europe at raileurope.com. Krakow was wonderful; I stayed near Old Town, on the edge of the Jewish Quarters. I took a direct bus from the train station to the bus stop close to my hotel. The two times I rode the bus the system was not a problem. The two times I left the area was when I departed and when I went to see Auschwitz. I hope that you plan on seeing Auschwitz; be prepared to be shocked. I don't recall the tour company I used but they picked me up and dropped me off at my hotel. I stayed at the Hotel Kazimierz II which I highly recommend. It is a basic hotel, clean, comfortable, and secure; breakfast came with the room and it was one of the best breakfast I had while in Europe. Around the corner from the hotel next to the Jewish Community Center was a restaurant that served one of the best hamburgers I had anyplace I've been. Also, down the street is a small café (walking away from the hotel and Old Town) it would be on the right. The stuff cabbage rolls were great; when I ordered I was thinking of the ones in the US so I ordered two. I could hardly eat one they were so big. I know this is more than you asked for; but, I had such a good time in Krakow that I wanted to share with you. Enjoy!

Posted by
7049 posts

Re: prior comment - you may want to actually stay clear of Rail Europe - they're a middleman and charge markups on rail tickets. Better to use each country's rail agency even if you have to work a little harder to figure out the schedule and booking.

It is very easy to find the Krakow to Prague route using the below website - it took me less than a minute. If you have any problems with the website you can get help directly on the site.

http://booking.polrail.com/

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you Ken & Agnes for sharing so much of your experiences. I really appreciate it. shall i buy the overnight sleeper train tickets before I leave California?

Posted by
7049 posts

You do need to reserve any sleeper trains in advance, whether from California or once you get there (if you have the option to print the tickets somehow once you're on the ground, or buy them at the train station a few days before). Seems like ordering them from home may be easiest and less stressful.

Oops, I just realized that I gave you the reverse info (from Krakow to Prague). I'm Polish so I'm much more familiar with the Polish train system. I'm not familiar with the Czech train system although I've traveled between the two cities before by bus.

Best of luck on your trip. I'm sure there's excellent info on the Czech forum or Trip Advisor - may, many people make this same trip so I'm sure the info is out there.