Please sign in to post.

Driver in Krakow

We have just returned from our trip which included four days in Krakow. Following advice in Rick's book, I enlisted the help of Andrew to pick us up at the airport. Andrew was waiting for us and helped us to his van. He introduced himself and was quite friendly and courteous. He took us to our hotel directly at a very reasonable price. My family was so impressed by him, we asked him to take us to Auschwitz two days later. That trip too was very pleasant. Again we asked for transportation to the Salt Mine and finally a ride to our train when we were leaving.

If I had ten thousand words, I could not describe how very knowledgeable and informative Andrew was. He is an older gentleman who freely dispenses information. His knowledge of history and places was incredible and he delivered the information in a logical and easily understandable manner. We asked about Polish relatives who left the area 100 years ago. Certainly he did not know them, but he was able to provide an excellent description of conditions at that time and the mechanism employed by the people who left. After listening to Andrew, our knowledge of the area and people was so much better. I cannot recommend Andrew enough. He is a very pleasant fellow that you could spend a few hours having drinks and be both fascinated and informed. A true multiple value and good use of time!

From Rick's Book: "“Andrew (Andrzej) Durman, a Pole who lived in Chicago and speaks fluent English, is a gregarious driver, translator, miracle worker, and all-around great guy. While not a licensed tour guide, Andrew is an eager conversationalist and loves to provide lively commentary while you roll. Although you can hire Andrew for a simple airport transfer or an Auschwitz day trip, he also enjoys tackling more ambitious itineraries, from helping you track down your Polish roots to taking you on multiple-day journeys around Poland and beyond. These prices are transportation only for up to 4 people: 400 zł to Auschwitz, 250 zł to Wieliczka Salt Mine, 80 zł for transfer from Kraków-Balice Airport, 500 zł for transfer from Katowice Airport, or 600 zł for an all-day trip into the countryside—such as into the High Tatras or to track down your Polish roots near Kraków (more to cover gas costs for trips longer than 100 km one-way; long-distance transfers for up to 4 people to Prague, Budapest, Vienna, or Berlin for 1,800 zł—or 200 zł extra if he picks you up there; also available for multiday trips—price negotiable, all prices higher for bigger[…]”

Posted by
168 posts

Andrew was our driver back in 2016 on our first trip to Poland. He assisted us in trying to find our relatives but too many decades had past and we were unsuccessful. He did provide us access to the priest who copied the birth record of my husband's grandfather. Andrew made a great effort.

Andrew also can provide the history of situations the world is currently dealing with. We asked him and another much younger driver the same situations. Andrew lived through these times and the younger man had a very different view based on his lack of experience.