Please sign in to post.

Budapest to Krakow

We are planning a trip from Budapest to Kraków in Sept and would like some info on trains. Is there any other way to do this?

Posted by
2822 posts

I would recommend flying (and did on the other thread) but another poster added this link which looks intriguing:
http://transferbudapesthungary.com/vienna-bratislava-prague-budapest-airport-transfer-taxi.html
For two or more it would be a cost-effective and scenic alternative to either flying or the train. Worth checking out, and the gent who posted it (the same James E. who posted here) can no doubt provide personal information regarding the quality of the experience.

Posted by
2602 posts

I had considered this trip and did some research but it seemed that I couldn't fly direct from Budapest to Krakow--I could to Warsaw, though. Didn't want to waste time transferring planes so gave up on that idea altogether.

I think the train is the best option from Budapest to Krakow--and by the way, both cities are absolutely enchanting, each in their different way--I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Posted by
14507 posts

I've been to Krakow, arrived there and departed from there and will return there for a future, repeat visit of the city. Getting to Krakow I don't find it hard to do, one can go from Warsaw, Berlin, the direct night train from Budapest, from Vienna. I got there from Warsaw by train, left Krakow for Berlin, a direct day train in July, took ca 10 hrs. But that was in 2001, I would assume the ride would take less time now.

Posted by
17916 posts

Fred always makes me regret getting lazy in my posts.

Krakow is one of those places that generally takes 5 or more hours to reach from the major tourist cities in the region. This cuts into the tourist trade somewhat. It would benefit from a direct flight from Vienna and Budapest. Ryan Air did have a high season direct flight from Budapest some years back but I haven't seen it in a while.

Posted by
9 posts

Extremely lazy in your posts James E.

Krakow IS one, if not THE major tourist city in the region, and is no more difficult to get to than any other city in Europe

And certainly does not suffer a cut in tourist trade from it's location or accessibility.

Posted by
17916 posts

clarky_phil i guess i touched a nerve. You are correct. Being somewhat isolated it does indeed constitute its own region and as such it is the major attraction in that region. While i have never been there (too far for my schedules to date) i have heard its a magnificent place visually and historically and well worth the time and distance to visit. Definitely high on my list.

Posted by
44 posts

The Seat61 guy recommends Polrail Service for booking trains to/from Krakow.

I see there the Vienna-Krakow and the Krakow-Prague trains, so there should be no problem to book.

Posted by
204 posts

A lot of excellent information. However, my wife and I are going in the opposite direction (Krakow to Budapest). Flying is out…too long. Overnight train looks good, However again, I can't seem to find any infer about reservations. We will be there in late Nov.

Posted by
19 posts

We would like to go up through middle of Slovakia from Budapest to Krakow. We are looking into private bus tours or transfers. The Transfer-Budapest one mentioned a few times indicates no availability on our date. I have found this bus service. https://cestovnelistky.studentagency.sk/. Any one with experience with this group or know of another. We are fine with an overnight somewhere in the middle of Slovakia as well.