I ran across some info on Suwalki while researching a future trip to Poland. It looks like its current greatest claim to fame is as the last major stop on the train line headed out of Poland at its northeast corner, but it also appears to...
- work well as a base for Wigry National Park
- have an interesting, well-English-labeled regional museum
- be home to 1 of 2 Maria Konopnicka museums in Poland (children's author, novelist, poet, activist, multi-talented woman) -- exhibit is probably all in Polish
- have an interesting cemetery divided into several sections, including a Jewish one with rare graves but a small Holocaust memorial + a wall built from grave stones destroyed by the Germans
- have a Soviet memorial and cemetery at the edge of town
- be surrounded by farm stays on lakes
- offer access to Augustów
I searched the Forum and could find only 6 mentions -- mostly in reference to transportation in/out of the country, but there are a couple of cryptic Fred comments ("Very interesting that you are going to Suwalki.") in the search results, too.