Please sign in to post.

2023 Travel Tips for Poland - The Guardian

Hi all, ran across this interesting article from The Guardian published a few days back. They solicited the travel tips from their UK readers about the best destinations to visit in Poland in 2023. Perhaps will give you some inspiration on a future trip to Poland. Here is the link - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/may/12/readers-highlights-of-poland

Here are the top picks:

Renaissance beauty, Zamość
The relative remoteness of Zamość, a south-eastern town (only a few buses and trains each day from Lublin), makes the surprise of emerging onto its extraordinary Rynek square even more delightful. Set on an important trading route, with ornate Armenian merchant houses painted yellow, red and blue, the square and surrounding streets were designed by Venetian Renaissance architect Bernardo Morando.

A walk in Karkonosze national park
Head to the south-western corner of Poland and hike Karkonosze national park, a glacially moulded ridge that straddles the border between Poland and the Czech Republic. Weave among glacial lakes and strange rock formations and take in the view looking onto Poland’s verdant plains.

Beautiful Tatra peaks and lakes
From the ski and hiking resort town of Zakopane in the Tatra mountains, follow the roads to the Slovakian border, from where a track leads you – by foot or horse and cart – several kilometres up through the forests to the glacial lake of Morskie Oko (or Eye of the Sea). Surrounded by high peaks, it’s a beautiful spot.

Lynx and bison, Białowieża national park
Poland still has plenty of accessible wilderness and a diverse selection of wildlife, with European bison, elk, wolves, bear, beaver and lynx roaming freely. It is possible to see many of these animals in one of several national parks, including Unesco world heritage site Białowieża national park.

Solidarity Museum, Katowice
Śląskie Centrum Wolności i Solidarności, in a suburb of Katowice, is an excellent modern museum that charts the progress of Solidarity and of Poland as it evolved to become a free country, independent from the shackles of Russian communism. I found it fascinating, informative, historical and moving in equal measures, and was really impressed by the level of interactivity.

Silesian specialities, Katowice
Restaurant Śląska Prohibicja in Katowice is a must for anyone keen on trying Silesian food. Set in an old red-brick building in the former coal mining community of Nikiszowiec, the restaurant’s high ceilings and tasteful decor give it an airy, casual feel. Must-trys are the żur (a traditional, slightly sour yet incredibly delicious soup) and śląski klasyk (beef roulade, with Silesian sausage and dumplings).

Spinning and weaving, Łódź
The Central Museum of Textiles is really worth a visit. The everyday lives of textile workers who were employed at the nearby cotton mills of 19th-century businessman and philanthropist Israel Poznański are frozen in time, accessed by entering one of several cottages. The museum has an impressive selection of preserved spinning and weaving machines, put into operation every 30 minutes by a knowledgable guide who transmits fascinating information over the deafening whirring historically endured by textile workers.

Stained-glass glory, Kraków
When visiting Kraków take time to view the beautiful stained glass of multidisciplinary artists Stanisław Wyspiański and Józef Mehoffer along with other masters. The city is dotted with some of the finest examples of their craft. The National Museum Kraków has a section devoted to Wyspiański’s work; there are also many places around the city where his spectacular stained glass designs can be seen, principally St Francis Basilica, Wyspiański Pavilion, and the Stained Glass Museum, which is an active workshop.

continued

Posted by
3905 posts

Hel is a Baltic heaven
The Hel peninsula is a super-thin sandbar peninsula surrounded by crystal clear water, clean beaches, and filled with dense woods. It has the feel of southern Europe or even somewhere tropical. We travelled there by train (which leaves from Gdynia) and found that the peninsula is slim enough to get a good sea view whichever side of the train we sat on. At Hel town there are ferries to Gdansk.

Winning tip: Astronomy and gingerbread, Toruń
The northern town of Toruń is a hidden gem I chanced upon when travelling around Poland by train this year. The skyline is stunning, full of distinctive red medieval buildings, best when viewed from the banks of the Vistula River. Highlights are the Baj Pomorski theatre and the Teutonic knights’ castle. There are reminders of Renaissance astronomer Copernicus – his spectacular 14th-century gothic tenement house still stands and is now a museum. The city is also known for its gingerbread – you can try your hand at making it in classes at the Gingerbread Museum, which my kids and I found to be great fun. Check out shopping mall Copernicus Gallery too, then enjoy an ice-cream from the cafe Lenkiewicz; the queue of locals tells you it’s worth it.

Tell the truth I am surprised Katowice was named twice, it was heavily industrialized during communism, I guess now is becoming an up and coming "off the radar" city for Poland.

Posted by
8454 posts

Thanks Carlos. I think it's clear that there's a lot more to see there than just a short tour will show you. I know RS has said they don't intend to do a Poland Guidebook, but I sure wish they would.

Posted by
3905 posts

Poland seems to be a HOT topic in the Guardian these days, as it should be

My guess is that the Polish tourism board is going on a charm offensive in Anglo media as they foresee a bad summer season due to the war in Ukraine next door.

Posted by
3905 posts

Thanks Carlos. I think it's clear that there's a lot more to see there than just a short tour will show you. I know RS has said they don't intend to do a Poland Guidebook, but I sure wish they would.

I agree Stan 👍, especially considering Poland is just as large and historic as Germany.

Posted by
3857 posts

My guess is that the Polish tourism board is going on a charm
offensive in Anglo media as they foresee a bad summer season due to
the war in Ukraine next door.

In Gdansk now. My guide today told me that business has picked up quite a bit for the 2023 season. He said he and has guide friends have noticed a particular uptick in US visitors. "We're not sure why."

Posted by
841 posts

Thanks for this list, Carlos. I sure would like to go back to Poland!

Posted by
4111 posts

Ok, now I need to go find out more about the stained glass in Krakow since I will be there again in a few weeks.

Posted by
3905 posts

@TexasTravelmom - How cool! Is this going to be the part of your trip you put off from the last time? I think I recall you said you were also visiting the Tatra mountains?

Posted by
3905 posts

In Gdansk now. My guide today told me that business has picked up quite a bit for the 2023 season. He said he and has guide friends have noticed a particular uptick in US visitors. "We're not sure why."

That's great to hear Dave!

Posted by
4111 posts

@Carlos, no, I have a group spending a couple of nights in Wroclaw and several in Krakow. After they leave, I will have a car for a couple of days and may try to see some of the wooden churches and Zalipie - maybe overnight in Sandomierz. OR, I could spend both days in Zakopane or thereabouts. I guess eventually I will have to decide that part.

But I do love stained glass and hadn’t read about that in Krakow before I was there last year. :) It will be something to look for!

Posted by
3905 posts

@TexasTravelmom - I don't know about stained glass, but if you're looking for other unique and off-the-radar day trips from Krakow I can suggest:

Trail of the Eagles' Nest Castles - a route of 25 medieval castles which are located just outside of Krakow, The castles are perched on large hills and cliffs of the Polish Jurassic Geological Chain, resembling "eagle's nests". The route is about 164 km (approximately 102 miles) long, and it's a popular choice for locals looking for hiking, cycling, and driving. I did some of the route by car a few years ago
Here is my trip report -
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/new-daytrip-from-krakow-eagle-s-nest-castle-trail
and photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E85G7rpspq3gNyEg8

Pszczyna (former capital of Duchy of Pleß) - old baroque town dominated by a large 17th century chateau, which used to be owned by the von Pless family when this part of Poland was owned by Germany. The interior is very well preserved and many of the original furnishings are all still there. It is also historically important as this is the place where Kaiser Wilhelm II had his HQ for the eastern front during WW1. The town center has maintained its historical charm, with beautifully restored tenement houses, the town hall, and various shops and restaurants. I visited from Krakow back in 2016 via high speed train.

Here some of my photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uGAUR6WXTntUQuf48

Hope this gives a few ideas :-)
I'll be in the region too later in June!