Please sign in to post.

POLAND IN SEPTEMBER

My daughter and I will be going to Poland in September of this year. I visited Warsaw and Krakow 2 years ago for 3 days in each
city. At that time I saw the Salt Mines and Auschwitz. We will only have 1 week and I would like to make the most of this time there.

This is my daughter's first trip out of the USA and I so want her to experience her heritage. My grandparents on both sides came from
Poland.
Could you suggest areas of interest? We would also be able to take the train to outlying areas. I plan to stay an additional week
beyond my daughter and would be traveling by train. Any suggestions for additional places to visit.
I have used the travel forum for many trips over the past years and so value your advise.
I am sure I will be posting again as I formulate the undertaking of this trip.
Thank you, in advance for any help.

Posted by
8440 posts

vjmasters

Near Krakow, Zakopane is a popular resort destination in the mountains and worth a visit. Besides Warsaw and Krakow, the shrine of Black Madonna in Czestochowa is traditional, and interesting cultural visit, about halfway between Warsaw & Krakow. RS doesn't cover much of Poland beyond the big cities, so I think Lonely Planet Guide is best reference. I did a visit last year using a Polish tour company, and almost everyone on it were Americans of Polish heritage.

Posted by
123 posts

Hello!
I am a Pole and live in Szczecin, NW part of Poland in the seaside area, a capital of region called Western Pomerania. This is also good destination for a few days trip. You can find some hotels in the city center as Radisson Blu in the skyscraper named PAZIM or cosy and small Park Hotel near PAZIM. There is also a hotel on the river 'Bończa', in Szczecin-Dąbie, the eastern part of the city. Except hotels Szczecin has many interesting places of nature and culture, for instance The Pomeranian Dukes' Castle, National Museum, Summer Theater, Roses Garden, Ładoga Restaurant on the Oder River and boat trip around the harbor (Odra Queen and Penne Queen). In the area - among others Szczecin Landscape Park, Szczecin Lagoon, Jasienica Abbey in Police, Świdwie Reserve near Police, The Old Town of Nowe Warpno, Festival of Slavs and Vikings, Regional Museum and Open Air Museum in Wolin, Międzyzdroje - a seaside resort known as 'The Pearl of the Baltic' and attractions of Świnoujście - a town situated on 44 islands, for example the lighthouse, The Eastern Fort and nature reserve Karsiborska Kępa. There is "Solidarity" Szczecin–Goleniów Airport between Szczecin and Świnoujście, harbour in Świnoujście with ferries to Ystad in Sweden, a hydrofoil from Świnoujście through Trzebież to Szczecin and train connections e.g. from Warsaw, Gdańsk, Olsztyn, Białystok, Poznań, Cracow, Lublin, Wrocław, Łódź or German capital Berlin (Berlin Hauptbahnhof or Berlin Gesundbrunnen). The "Solidarity" Szczecin–Goleniów Airport has flights to / from Warsaw, London Stansted, Liverpool, Dublin, Oslo Gardermoen, Oslo Torp and Stavanger.
If you have some free time, you can take into consideration many places in Poland. Let me know if you have any questions.
Good trip!
Michal