Please sign in to post.

Two weeks in Tromso starting 1 Feb, 2018 for Northern Lights too early? too long?

Hello, we wish to see the Northern Lights in Tromso. Would like to take in the Festival of Northern Lights (Jan 27-4 Feb), Reindeer Race (approx Feb 4-11) plus activities dog or reindeer sledding, snowshoeing etc. We read Feb is best time for NL but daylight for other activities seems to be available only for a few hours. In order to catch these events, I thought we would fly into Tromso 1 Feb and take the Hurtigruten on 14 Feb to Bergen. Is this period too long and is this timing too early? We don't want to be in the dark all the time. This is a "once in our lives" trip. Also, suggestions for accommodation for such a long stay (or promo codes?) would be appreciated as this would be the most expensive trip for us (we will be travelling from west coast of Canada). Hotel rates seem to indicate this is high season? Appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Posted by
3391 posts

There will be very little daylight - the sun will rise around 9AM and set around 3PM. That's why it's such a great time for the Northern Lights! There are definitely pros and cons to a two-week stay...you are increasing your likelihood of being there when the lights are "on". The winter in Norway is a season that the locals relish in...beautiful evening lights in the towns, comfort food, etc.
The cons are definitely the lack of daylight hours...you'll need to be able to deal with that. Hotels are going to be expensive since this is the peak time for the Northern Lights and Tromso is kind of the epicenter for aurora tourism in Norway.
Two weeks may be a little long...that said, if you like to get out in the outdoors during the daylight to do a lot of outdoor activities you might be able to fill your time. It sounds like you've identified quite a few outdoor activities you'd like to do?? If it were me I would list everything out that I wanted to do and see how many day's worth of things I had planned?
Maybe spend a week or so in Tromso and then try another place on the coast like Alesund or Lofoten? Both are beautiful in different ways and would be good places to visit in winter as well.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you so much for your reply, Anita. Would it make a difference if we postpone by a week? We will miss the reindeer race and festival but maybe we'll have more light? We can then cruise to Bergen, spend a few days there, then take train to Oslo for a few days? We are totally flexible - main goal is to see NL. Just have to fly out of Oslo at the end of the trip. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Lolo

Posted by
3391 posts

I don't think a week will make a whole lot of difference in the amount of daylight! You're there in the dead of winter. Personally I would love to do what your doing but have to work that time of year!

Posted by
5 posts

Hi Anita, Thank you again for your input. I'll start making the arrangements - the final dates will probably depend on hotel availability. Cheers, Lolo

Posted by
1829 posts

I would definitely look into the Lofoten Islands you could easily split up your time with a week in each location.
This would give you much more to do and the Northern Lights will be visible from there as well on most clear winter nights so does not really decrease your chances of seeing them.