Please sign in to post.

Train from Oslo to Stockholm August 2020

Can’t seem to find an accurate, current schedule or website. Have
Googled everything. Any suggestions?

Posted by
7357 posts

Have you tried the NSB Website at www.nsb.no/en/front page ? Scroll down to the bottom and hit “English” if it doesn’t come up in English from the start.

Posted by
6379 posts

Avoid NSB (they are by the way called Vy now), the trains are run by SJ. Buy your tickets at www.sj.se, but the tickets for August are not for sale yet.

Posted by
7357 posts

We’re in the midst of planning a trip to Scandanavia for next summer, but Denmark and Norway at this point, with Sweden farther in the future. One of the guidebooks I’m using for this preliminary planning mentions NSB, but it’s from 2018. I see the Website in The link I gave now goes straight to www.vy.no , and says the name change happened in April 2019. So why avoid Vy, even if SJ operates the trains ? Will tickets be cheaper, or easier to obtain, once they’re for sale ?

Posted by
6379 posts

So why avoid Vy, even if SJ operates the trains ?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks, everyone! Looks like I’d better wait til March and check again. Lots of good advice-appreciate it.

Posted by
7357 posts

Glad hilliard001’s got the info needed. I clicked on the SJ link and couldn’t find the Svenska/English change button for awhile - maybe that’s just me. The Vy Website was easier For changing languages, for those of us who need it. But they cover both train and bus schedules in Scandinavia, and don’t have an arrival option for a Stockholm train station. So I see why it won’t work in this case, for this journey.

But just saying avoid made it sound like the formerly NSB/now Vy site was somehow risky or dangerous, and to not ever be consulted at any cost. It’s just not applicable here, even though the departure is from Oslo. Good to know.

Posted by
6379 posts

Vy is great if you want to buy a train ticket from Oslo to Bergen, but to Stockholm they are a bit dangerous as they might try to sell you a coach ticket instead and give the impression that there are no trains. Coaches can be a good option for inter city travel, but when there is a train option the choice is easy in my opinion.