Please sign in to post.

Summer 2025 Itinerary help

Hello,

Myself and my partner are thinking of travelling to Norway in July next year. I have been changing and amending Itineraries for the last few weeks and I think we have settled on visiting Lofoten, Bergen and Oslo (while visiting the Fjords along the way).

20 JUL - Fly to BODO (1 night Bodo)

21 JUL - MorningTour: Boat ride to Saultstraumen
Afternoon: Ferry Bodo - Meskenes

4 nights Lofoten Islands

25 JUL - Fly Svolvær (SVJ) to Bergen

2 nights Bergen

27 JUL - Hardangerfjord Area

28 JUL - Hardangerfjord Area (overnight Flam?)

29 JUL - Train Flam (?) to Oslo

2 nights Oslo

31 JUL - Fly from Oslo

We might be able to add an extra night or two maybe somewhere. Would you add that to Bergen or somewhere else?

Also, I am a bit lost of WHERE to actually stay/ go between Bergen and Oslo?

Any advice would be appreciated

Posted by
27701 posts

If you're flying to Norway from North America, are you confident you'll have recovered sufficiently from the overnight flight to fully enjoy the activities you're planning for July 21? Almost everything in Norway is expensive.

Are you prepared to rent a car for part of the trip? That will affect the advice you receive. I didn't do that, but I know it opens up a lot of sightseeing options that cannot be accomplished efficiently via public transportation.

I didn't get as far north as the Lofoten Islands, and I traveled by ferry, train and bus rather than by air.

Some version of the Norway-in-a-Nutshell route is a very efficient way to see some beautiful fjord scenery while linking Bergen to Oslo. Whether any or all parts of that route are semi-essential for a traveler depends on what else the itinerary covers, but the scenery is spectacular. These are the components:

• Regular train from Bergen to Voss (the least scenic part of the trip). Ticket from vy.no; you might have to use PayPal.
  • Bus from Voss to Gudvangen. Pay on the bus; a credit card should work.
  • Naeroyfjord ferry from Gudvangen to Flam. Ticket from NorwaysBest.com.
  • Flamsbana train from Flam to Myrdal. Buy through-ticket Flam to Oslo from vy.no.
  • Regular train from Myrdal to Oslo.

Flam is a very ordinary little town in a stunning setting sometimes considerably spoiled by the presence of monster cruise ships. It is the most convenient place to stay if you want to split the Nutshell route over two or more days. Therefore, demand for lodging is extremely high. Best to pin down that part of the itinerary ASAP and book a room. Make sure it's cancellable in case your plans change. Rooms in Voss, Gudvangen and Aurland don't seem to sell out as early.

Some transportation components of the Nutshell route sell out in advance, but I don't know how early. It's definitely not something you need to worry about now.

Posted by
2898 posts

July 21: as pedestrian you can also take port-to-port (without cabin) the daily Hurtigruten or Havila ship from Bodø to Stamsund which leaves at around 3.20 pm and is more comfortable (bistro, restaurant, bar and toilets). It continues to Svolvær if this is your destination of the day. Pre-reservation recommended.

July 27 & 28: if you rent a car in Voss (after train Bergen - Voss) to explore Hardanger area I recommend to spend either the night(s) in Vossevangen or with a fjord view in Utne or Eidfjord. Also Myrkdalen is an option. Flam is at this time just over-expensive, so is Gudvangen.

Posted by
167 posts

Thanks for posting your itinerary and for the useful information provided by others. We are also looking at visiting the Lofoten Islands while we are in Norway. Your schedule looks very interesting and useful.