I know this is a well-worn topic, but I'm hoping someone had a similar dilemma, and at the least, had an alternative that was just as fun and well worth the time.
Planning a July trip to Scandinavia w/ 3 nights in the NIN area because I'd like to do more than the one-day marathon described by RS. Wish to rent a car in the area to access areas difficult to do via public transit efficiently.
- Train from Oslo to Flåm (Bergensbanen, then Flamsbana)
- Flåm to Balestrand; see the very limited sights in town- night 1
- Visit stave church in Vik; 1/2-day excursion to Fjærland and Jostedal Glacier - Night 2
- Scenic drive from Balestrand to sights on the Lustrafjord (if time permits, Solvorn/Urnes Stave Church), but wish to continue to Aurland via the Aurlandsvegan one way w/ return via tunnel, then time permitting, see the Borgund Stave Church on the way back to Balestrand. Return car-- Night 3
- Heading on to Bergen via Flam (resuming NIN so as not to miss the Næroyfjord. – sleep in Bergen
I’ve read many comments about Balestrand not being worth the time (too quiet, not much to do), but besides wanting to leave the bustle of a busy cruise ship stop, I want to see more of north side of Sognefjord and drive down the “Snow Road.” Is there a better way to experience the sights I included in the scenic drives? Should I spend my nights elsewhere? And of course, still do the NIN route over 3 days? Did I also mention I want to avoid a very expensive one-way car rental? I’m sure you see how I ended up with a mess of an itinerary. I know there will be trade-offs I will need to make, but I’m needing some other perspectives/ideas. I would sure appreciate them.