Please sign in to post.

Starting to Plan Norway June 2018

I'm starting to plan a trip to Norway for June of 2018 and already hotels are booking up so this weekend will be the rough outline with details to follow but some questions for the experts here who have been there/done this.

Current thoughts are:

Flight in from US to Oslo (3 nights because my mother needs an extra day to re-calibrate)
2 Full days in Oslo to see what's about
Oslo to Balestrand via trains and ferry (1 night in Balestrand)
Balestrand to Bergen (3 nights) with a day trip to Rosendal one of the Bergen days
Bergen to Iceland (2-3 nights)
Iceland to US

Too much? Too little? We have a train lover in the group so the trip to Balestrand should meet those needs. Rosendal seems lovely but I'd love some thoughts. I also very much want to hire a private guide or go with a group for some birding (the verb, to bird)

Recommendations for where to stay in Balestrand?

Thanks much!
Lisa

Posted by
279 posts

Kviknes Hotel. This is the old historic hotel in Balestrand, that for me helps define Balestrand. I first saw it from the ferry sometime in the 1990s and thought it looked really cool. I finally stayed there with my wife in 2011 and it was. It is not inexpensive!

Posted by
96 posts

Thanks Michael! I see that its not an inexpensive hotel but we'll likely only be there one night.

Next Question - I've contacted 2 hotels in Oslo and both are already booked for 2018! Suggestions other than Rick's???

Thanks!

Lisa

Posted by
279 posts

There are lots of hotels in Oslo at all levels of quality and cost. I would look beyond the limited few mentioned in a travel guide. I use Trip Advisor.

One thing to note is that all Norwegian hotels provide a nice spread for breakfast. The choices are greater at the high end, but are fully satisfactory at any level.

Posted by
1743 posts

I would like to suggest you book a fjord-view room at the Balestrand Hotel as an alternative to the Kviknes Hotel.

I stayed there two nights last May. It is a small, family-run place. The owners are delightful, the breakfast is good, the rooms are pleasant, spacious, and clean, and it's an easy walk over to the Kviknes if you want to do their buffet for dinner. The fjord-view rooms have balconies. I sat out there each evening to enjoy the view. I just loved it!

I'm sure the Kviknes has nice rooms, but it's a large hotel and can't possibly provide the personal touch you get at a smaller, friendlier place like the Balestrand Hotel.

Posted by
96 posts

Thanks Lane! I have indeed already contacted them and will secure rooms for at least one night when they start accepting 2018 :-)

Nice to hear such a great report about it and I like the idea of walking over to the fancy hotel for the buffet dinner; I'll make sure we're in the area for dinner time. Do we need to make reservations for dinner?

Thanks again ~
Lisa

Posted by
1743 posts

I didn't make a reservation, and it was no problem. I was seated right away. It's a very large dining room. I was there in May, however; it might be busier in June.

Posted by
3 posts

We stayed at the Balestrand hotel in 2014 and are going back in August 2017. Unni-Marie was extremely helpful in guiding us through the various options of ferries, and tours. (We had spent time in Bergen first and then took the ferry to Balestrand, then the ferry/train route to Oslo. ) We did not bother with the fjord view rooms as one can sit in the lounge or the grassy area across the road and drink it all in without paying extra. We too went over to the Kviknes for the buffet and while it was a splurge, it was was a wonderful evening. We took a day trip up to Fjaerland fjord and the glaciers, and over to the stave church in Vik. We found Balestrand itself, a little slice of heaven.

Posted by
96 posts

Lane and bev - Thank you for both of your replies! I can't believe the trip is an entire year away because I want to go right now! Thanks for your help! Best for your day -
Lisa

Posted by
20 posts

We are also going in June 2018 - note that some hotels are booked, and some haven't opened up their reservation systems for next June yet - definitely worth an email to ask (3 out of 5 we checked didn't open reservations yet). We ended up taking AirBnB's all the way through once we got on that kick - some great apartments some of which are also listed on booking dot com. We are going Alesund>Stryn (through Geriangefjord)>Balestrand (staying in Leikanger for 5 days)>Bergen on a 14 days on the ground trip. You're right to get as much reserved now as you can - we were going to do this 2 years ago and by February everything was locked up tight for the summer.

Posted by
1829 posts

Personally I would cut Oslo down to 2 nights, especially if your flight gets you in early the first day. It is a pretty city but I imagine you are coming for the scenery not the city of Oslo.

Posted by
882 posts

Having recently returned from 2/3 of your planned adventure, I can offer a few general suggestions.

1. Flights. I've had good service from Norwegian Airlines. They serve several New York area airports, and fly direct to Oslo during June 2018 for under $300 per person if you book soon. Those prices go up as the departure date nears. If you decide to fly Norwegian, book directly with them as they offer seat selection and other benefits not available if you book thru a travel agent or third party provider. They also fly from Iceland back to New York. Most Norwegian Air transatlantic flights are on modern Boeing 787-900 dreamliners.....far preferable to the Airbus 330 series used elsewhere, in my opinion.
    Icelandair may also be a good option, especially if you are willing to stop in Iceland on the way to Norway and again on the way home. They offer several attractive options for stays in Iceland, even if Iceland isn't your final destination.

2. Car rentals. If you can manage to use public transport, avoid renting a car in Norway. But, I suggest you reserve a car for your time in Iceland. Public transport is Iceland is limited to tourist hot spots, but many breathtaking locations are best discovered on your own. You will return, however, blessing the low cost of fuel at your local filling station.....fuel in Iceland (and Norway) is extremely expensive as are car rentals.

3. Trip planning. I love Oslo....so I'd suggest at least three days. The Viking Museum and the Historical Museum share management, so admission to one is good for the other with a 72 hour (I think) window. Both are excellent although they are not located near each other. The Historical Museum is near the National Gallery....oh, you must go there, and they are both near the Royal Palace. The Viking Museum requires a ferry ride.....fun, or a bus ride (a #30 bus) from a stop near the Fortress and city hall. The Norsk Folkemuseum - the open air museum in Oslo is a must see.....also near the Viking Museum, but I'd give that a day all to itself. Rick's Oslo and Norway guides are excellent, and his recommendations for hotels are valuable. We stayed at the Thon Munch hotel, near the Historical Museum and National Gallery......basic but certainly acceptable and comes with breakfast. Presuming you take the express train from the airport to Oslo Central (S) station, it's a 1 kilometer walk or a $14 cab ride to the Thon Munch. There are plenty of other hotels, but I can only report on the one I know.
    Guesthouses abound in Reykjavik. We stayed at a nice one called the Freyja Guesthouse, located near the gigantic church called Hallgrimskirkja. Breakfast included....a nice place with free loaner bicycles in a centrally located but quiet neighborhood. I'd spend at least a day driving around the area and don't forget the "Golden Circle".....Geysir and Gullfoss will impress!
    If you enjoy beer or wine, stop by the "duty free" store at KEF on your way to Reykjavik.....alcohol in Iceland is more expensive than fuel.
    I hope this is helpful.