Please sign in to post.

Scandinavia Winter Trip

Hi!

I am planning a trip to Scandinavia for Dec. 25, 2024-Jan 5, 2025. I would love to see the Northern Lights, Copenhagen, stay in an ice hotel and a glass dome (looking at Tromso Ice Domes, Sorrisniva ice hotel, would love to hear if there is another I should look at), see reindeer, go on a husky dogsled ride, see the Fjords, and learn about the traditions of the Sami people.

I am flying in from Boston with my 24 year old daughter. We'll have 11 days. I'd love to know what others have experienced on a similar trip - any advice is welcomed! My daughter is very interested in history and would love to know which museums are recommended.

We'll be there over New Years - is there a place you have experienced that you'd recommend? Low key with local traditions are best for us.
I am open to any suggestions that you think are must see destinations and experiences. I am late to booking this trip and need to act fast as I know many places will be booked.
Thank you!
Jeanine

Posted by
7614 posts

It sounds like what you need to do is to fly into Copenhagen, then fly to Tromso (SAS or Norwegian), then fly up to Alta (with SAS or Norwegian) for the Sorrisniva Ice Hotel and for the Tirpitz Museum which you mentioned in your Finland thread.

From Alta you can fly back direct to Oslo either on Scandinavian or Norwegian Air Shuttle. Ideally you would open jaw/multi city to fly home from Oslo.

The Museum is quite a few miles outside Alta in the middle of the countryside, so you would ideally need a rental car to get there, and winter driving experience. Also check the museum opening times during the festive season. Or a taxi or the hotel may know of an excursion bus out there- I know they do run.
Maybe contact them through their facebook page, or ask the hotel- https://www.facebook.com/Kaafjord/
I'll be honest, I ran out of time to get there when I was in Alta, so have no first hand knowledge. If they aren't open normally at that time of year there is a chance they may open specially if they know you are coming.
That is where the Tirpitz hid, before she was hunted down and sank, so is the more "authentic" of the two museums to visit.
Alta is also a great place to see the Northern lights. One of the other must sees in Alta (IMO) is the Northern Lights Cathedral- it is only 11 years old but is a pretty spectacular piece of architecture.

There is also the Alta Museum to see- https://visitalta.no/en/product/exhibitions-at-alta-museum/ which can be reached fairly easily by citybus.

There is also a daily bus from Alta to Tromso which takes about 6 hours, as an alaternative to the flight in one direction.

Posted by
6905 posts

I'd suggest that you really start thinking about what you want to see and do and what is most important to you. Because you are planning a lot for 11 days, especially since there are several holidays that will affect opening hours at museums and other places you might want to visit. Do not underestimate the time it takes to travel from one place to another.

Which Tirpitz museum is your daugther interested in? The one in Denmark or the one in Norway? Hopefully the former as it is much easier to reach. If you want to learn more about the Sami, you should try to stop by Jokkmokk and visit Ájtte, http://www.ajtte.com/english/ And don't forget about the original Ice Hotel in Jukkasjärvi, www.icehotel.com

Have you booked any flights? SAS has direct flights between Boston and Copenhagen so that is a good start.