Please sign in to post.

Scandinavia Itinerary help

Hi,
I am traveling to Scandinavia from California for 11 nights flying in and out of Copenhagen. Trip is late July through first week of August 2024. I need help with itinerary.

I plan to start with 3 nights in Copenhagen, then fly to Bergen (2 nights), rent car and travel to Flam (2 nights). This portion of the trip is pretty set as I have already booked places to stay.

Should I stay one more night in fjords (perhaps Balestrand or Fjaerland)? Or is 4 nights enough for Norway and I should instead go on to Stockholm? I plan to spend either 2 or 3 nights in Stockholm before returning to Copenhagen for the last night..

I can't decide if I should spend 5 nights in Norway and 2 in Stockholm or only 4 nights in Norway and 3 in Stockholm.

Also, if we do stay in Norway 5 nights, where should we go for the 5th night? Are Balestrand and Fjaerland best options? Was thinking we could hike to see glacier in Fjaerland but not sure if that is a good use of time. Is there a better idea?

I am traveling with 3 teen boys (15, 13 and 11) who have never been to Europe.

Thank you!

Posted by
2234 posts

I would do the decision based on your interests. Stockholm has a lot of sights and interesting places. If you like to see more landscape then Norway's fjordland is a good decision.

With a car there I would prefer driving around and not staying two nights in Flåm because it is a very small village - best to avoid days with cruise ships in port (see list).Besides fjords the fjells and waterfalls are very attractive. You shall consider scenic routes Hardanger, Aurlandsfjell and / or Gaularfjell. Utne is a very nice place at Hardangerfjord - maybe also to overnight. Both car ferry lines to Kinsarvik and Kvanndal are very scenic.

Fjærland is a nice option but also a very tiny village.