Please sign in to post.

Rick Steves Best of Scandinavia tour Aug 2025 spend extra time in Bergen?

Hi. The tour only spends one full day in Bergen. Should I extend my time there and add a day or two to Bergen? Or I could return to Oslo and spend an extra day there as the tour only spends one day there. Is Bergen or Oslo worth an extra day or two? I am not sure yet if I am going to return to Vancouver, Canada from Bergen or Oslo.

Posted by
11505 posts

Oslo deserves more time. One day is inadequate.
Oslo deserves more than Bergen.

Posted by
286 posts

Definitely consider returning to Oslo for the extra day(s). Oslo has lots more to see and do than Bergen. Bergen was pretty and interesting, but a full day there was plenty for me.

Posted by
7840 posts

If you’re an art aficionado, the massive KODE complex in Bergen covers 4 buildings. We were on our own, not a RS tour, but we just saw the museum than included a substantial collection of Munch works. It added so much to what we later saw at Oslo’s Munch museum. I lived the “vibe” of the city, too. Are you interested in any hiking/walking above town, off the funicular? If you can fit in at least two more nights for Bergen, I believe it would be worthwhile.

And if you’re not Stave Churched-out, the reconstructed one south of downtown Bergen, Fantoft, easily reached by a marvelous Bergen tram and a short walk, is rewarding. Its history is fascinating.

We flew a pretty cheap flight between Bergen and Oslo on Norwegian Air, which might help if you need to get back to one city or another for your flight home.

Posted by
656 posts

If it helps, both Bergen and Oslo have a few daily flights to Amsterdam (Schipol) giving you an easy connection back to Vancouver on KLM. Oslo definitely has lots of interesting options to explore and it looks like the tour covers the highlights in Bergen; you could wait to leave Bergen until the next day or fly out to Oslo late in the day to get a bit of both.

Posted by
27701 posts

Both cities deserve more time, though there is more to see in Oslo.

Posted by
4156 posts

We visited both cities this past May. One day in Bergen is enough but Oslo needs a few days.

Posted by
2630 posts

I did the tour last year in August. Both cities could use an extra day, but I decided my priority was a good weather day in the fjords. To that end I did the Nutshell tour back to Oslo and flew out from there.

As it happened, there was great weather on the fjord portion of the tour, and rain/overcast on the NiN day. Still good though, and there were parts we didn't do on the tour, especially the excellent Flåmsbana train. It probably would have been better to do the NiN over 2 days as it was a very long day.

I loved this tour, and hope to get back to Norway sometime.