Please sign in to post.

Oslo to Bergen via NIN side stay in August 2024 - your input requested

Dear Fellow RS Travelers,

Semi-frequent traveler to Europe (and by that, I mean 1/year), but this is my first time to Norway and I’m still stressed about how much more we’re spending to visit, so the stakes seem higher, as compared to countries more south and east. FYI; physically active late 40s with 11 year old.

I’d appreciate your words of wisdom about this draft agenda. I’ve got accommodation and a car rental booked (all still cancelable), but given how full everything was in February when I did most of the bookings, I’m not excited about having to make any drastic changes or finding out there’s nothing available, but I'll do what I need to if necessary of course.

Day 1: Sat., Aug 10th – Arrive in Oslo at noon
Day 2: Sun., Aug. 11th – All day in Oslo
Day 3: Mon., Aug. 12th – Start NIN: Train to Flam via Myrdal; overnight in Aurland (there’s a cruise ship in Flam that day unfortunately, but it is what it is. (pick up rental car)
Day 4: Tue., Aug. 13th – Drive from Aurland to Lustrafjord (overnight in Nes)
Day 5: Wed. Aug. 14th – overnight in Nes
Day 6: Thur. Aug 15th – overnight in Nes
Day 7: Fri., Aug. 16th – Return to Flam (return car by 11:00 a.m. I know we need to get up EARLY); resume NIN: ferry to Gudvangen, bus to Voss; Voss to Bergen – overnight in Bergen
Day 8: Sat. Aug. 17th – All day Bergen
Day 9: Sun. Aug 18th – Fly out Bergen for home

I realize I’m cutting my time rather short in both cities. I’m disappointed, but we can’t really add another day to Oslo without leaving on the 8th and my husband will likely kill me because it doesn’t leave much time for winding down work/packing, etc.
I haven’t fleshed out the details per day. I know there are ziplines, bikes, hiking, fjord kayaking, stave church viewing etc. all around the various fjords and I’d love to hear about suggestions for any of those offered in the areas we’ll be at of course if you wish to share and I expect do more legwork on my own of course. We are not diehard hikers, but walking 7-8 miles a day when traveling isn't unusual for us and we've driven in urban/rural areas of Scotland and Ireland, if that helps to know. We have done some kayaking and camping (no backcountry in years though)

I also still need to book the various segments of the NIN part which I’d like to do soon as I know various segments of the route can and do sell out.

Many thanks in advance.

Posted by
1006 posts

I'm very curious about the plan to spend three nights in Urnes as there doesn't seem to be very much there besides the Stavkirke. Urnes could easily be done as a day trip by car from Aurland.

For ziplines, biking, kayaking you will really need to be close to Flam unless you have your own bikes and kayaks.

Have you considered making Aurland your base rather than Nes (I assumed you actually meant Urnes)? Then you are close enough to Flam to access the zipline, kayak and bike hire. And you could even do the fjord cruise from Flam to Gudvangen and then get the shuttle bus back to Flam. When leaving Flam you can get a bus direct from Flam to Voss - this is what we did in March as the weather was terrible so we skipped the cruise and saved a huge amount of money.

Also, you can easily spend more than one day in Bergen. There are extensive walking trails from the top of the Floibanen funicular. And Bergen also has a stavkirke.

Posted by
51 posts

Sorry, I didn't make this very clear. We are staying at Nes Gard Hotel in Lustravegen for those days so we can drive around and see trails and maybe a glacier and a couple of churches,

Posted by
51 posts

We also couldn't find more than a night in Aurland during our stay.

Day 1: Sat., Aug 10th – Arrive in Oslo at noon
Day 2: Sun., Aug. 11th – All day in Oslo
Day 3: Mon., Aug. 12th – Start NIN: Train to Flam via Myrdal; overnight in Aurland (there’s a cruise ship in Flam that day unfortunately, but it is what it is. (pick up rental car)
Day 4: Tue., Aug. 13th – Drive from Aurland to Lustrafjord (overnight in at Nes Gard Hotel)
Day 5: Wed. Aug. 14th – overnight Nes Gard Hotel
Day 6: Thur. Aug 15th – overnight Nes Gard Hotel
Day 7: Fri., Aug. 16th – Return to Flam (return car by 11:00 a.m. I know we need to get up EARLY); resume NIN: ferry to Gudvangen, bus to Voss; Voss to Bergen – overnight in Bergen
Day 8: Sat. Aug. 17th – All day Bergen
Day 9: Sun. Aug 18th – Fly out Bergen for home