Please sign in to post.

Norway Itinerary help

we are planning an 8 day trip to Western Norway in June. we have put together a tentative itinerary:
Sun - Arrive Bergen
Mon - Bergen
Tues - drive to Flam - stay in Flam - see Bordalsgjelet gorge, Tvindfossen and Stalheimskava road on the way.
Wed- Fjord cruise on Naeroyfjord then drive in afternoon via Kaupanger church to Solvorn- night in Solvorn.
Thurs- bike on Romantic road then in afternoon drive to Loen- night in Loen.
Friday- Kayaking in am then drive via Gamle Strynefjellsvegen to Geiranger- night in Geiranger.
Sat- Geirangerfjord cruise, then drive via Eagle's road to Alesund. Night in Alesund.
Sun - Alesund
Mon- Fly from Alesund (to Amsterdam then home)

too much?

Posted by
7667 posts

Pretty good plan, but check your travel time between cities if you can. The country is mountainous and driving is slow.

Posted by
117 posts

Hi jcarr2730 - your trip plan is similar to the one I did this past August. I started in Bergen for 2 days then picked up a car and drove to Flam. I actually drove to Flam via Hardangerfjord - and wish I had planned more time in that area. But, I wanted to say I saw the fjord. In June, I know there could still be some weather concerns in the higher areas - so check on that. From Flam - I drove up Stegastein, but did it early to avoid traffic and great view. I also recommend taking a side trip to the Borgund Stave Church. It was worth the little extra time it took for that detour. I still also stopped at the Kaupanger church (which wasn't open when I stopped there - but Borgund was). It may be tight with your plan. Not knowing all the stops you plan going to Flam, you might be able to get there in time for the afternoon cruise rather than doing it on Wednesday morning. I took the Skylift at Loen and the view was fantastic and I watched paragliders take off and felt my knees wobble from the heights!! It was great. In Geirangerfjord - I highly recommend doing the RIB boat tour. I did the Naeroyfjord cruise too so this is a different type and I'm very glad I decided to do it. Of course, you could also take the ferry across Geirangfjord on your way to Alesund and bypass doing another cruise (but still see the sights) and be on your way to Alesund. I didn't do that but I've seen it recommended a lot. I drove Trollstigen but it might not be open yet - depends on when in June you are there and how much snow they had. I did my trip in 9 days and didn't feel like it was too much and included a stay in Molde and driving the Atlantic Road. And I'm a 61 year old, solo traveller. Norway is amazing and I am sure you will have a wonderful time.