Please sign in to post.

Norway Itinerary

I am trying to plan a 7-10 day trip to Norway in early July 2023. Am trying to look for itineraries that aren’t super touristy. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Posted by
27142 posts

Possibly due to the cost of practically everything (except groceries) in Norway, it doesn't really get swamped with tourists. I believe you'll run into fewer travelers away from Oslo and Bergen, but there's a reason people go to those cities. Similarly, the Norway-in-a-Nutshell route linking those two cities is popular for a good reason--it's a fast way to see some of the best scenery in Norway. As expensive as Norwegian hotels are, it makes some sense to visit readily accessible areas.

What sort of things do you want to see in Norway--Are you interested only in scenery, or do you want to enjoy city attractions as well? Are you interested in active tourism (hiking, etc.)? Are you willing to rent a car for part of the trip? I imagine that is quite expensive, but at least part of the cost might be offset by lower lodging expenses off the main train/bus routes. Is budget a concern at all?

I must warn you that lodgings along the Nutshell route, especially in Flam (the most convenient place to stay if you don't have a car), are in high demand. Both availability and cost are an issue.

Posted by
599 posts

This is our trip report from September.

We had already done a fjord tour, so we skipped this, but I think I would have preferred it because it goes faster and past Pulpit Rock.

If you don't want super touristy, I would stay away from Flam and Geiranger when cruise ships are in port.

Posted by
776 posts

I don't know what is meant by "itineraries that aren't super touristy".

Does this refer to crowds? Or, do you mean you would prefer to see less popular sites off the regular tourist routes?

Posted by
6415 posts

A bit more information about what you're looking for and what your interests are would be very helpful.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for your replies. We prefer more scenic destinations that sightseeing in a city. We enjoy hiking. While we don’t mind being where other tourists are, we wanted to avoid long lines and crowded destinations. When we travel to Europe, we typically travel through countries via train but we do not mind renting a car if needed.