Please sign in to post.

Norway in the Spring 2023

I am starting the planning stage of a Norwegian adventure. I am seeking feedback and suggestions of what to see and places to go to get the true feel of the Norwegian culture. I would like to capture excellent photographic opportunities and sample the out-of-the-tourist area for meeting people. I am not a big fan of the "big" cities but, historically-speaking, I would like to understand the culture and history.

I am open to renting a car, taking trains and ferries, and some hiking. I am looking at April or May for my trip and taking 9-10 days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I can fly into Oslo or Bergen and will use AirBnB or hostels.

Thank you

Posted by
27 posts

Look into Åndalsnes. It is a 5.5 hour train ride from Oslo and it is very scenic and beautiful (4 hours from Oslo to Dombas, transfer at Dombas for a 1.5 hour train to Åndalsnes).

Posted by
6345 posts

What time of the year, and for how long?

I don't agree about Åndalsnes though, while not the ugliest town in the world it is not that beutiful in my opinion.

Posted by
40 posts

I just booked my flight. I will be in Norway from April 13 till the 22nd, and I will land and depart from Bergen. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you again.

Bill

Posted by
6345 posts

Then my suggestion would be Bergen-Ålesund-Trondheim-Oslo-Bergen, that can be a nice loop for the time available. Rent a car for Bergen-Trondheim, take the train Trondheim-Oslo and do some version of Norway in a Nutshell from Oslo to Bergen.

Posted by
6345 posts

Closed roads are mostly on issue on smaller roads over mountain passes.

Posted by
2427 posts

Great trip report, Tammy. Norway is expensive. We were there in 2019. Can you imagine what it costs now? But I would not have brought all that wine with me as it’s heavy and I would worry about the bottles breaking. And we ran into very hot weather as well in Norway in August. I wish I had brought some capris.