Please sign in to post.

Norway in a week

I am in my 60's and traveling alone. I am planning a trip to Norway for next year sometime. I would like to see the Northern Lights, experience the culture and the scenic fjords, and I am on a budget. I do not need 5-star anything. I am looking for suggestions for a good time of year (off season preferably) to avoid the crowds, transit ideas to get from one site to another, and any unique things to see and do. are the day cruises to experience the fjords up close? Thank you in advance.

Bill

Posted by
6344 posts

To see the northern lights it needs to be dark, so winter is a good time. But, to see the fjords it can't be dark, so summer is better. So you need to find a compromise.

Posted by
8125 posts

Most people would start off in Oslo seeing the sights there. Then they'll take a Norway in a Nutshell tour where they take a train over to Flam and then switch to another train that takes you down into the fjords. There you'll get on a high speed ferrt that takes you over to the west end of the country to Bergen.

To see the Northern Lights, you'd have to catch a cruise ship or ferry out of Bergen that goes to the far away outposts in The North.

We flew home from Bergen--connecting in Oslo.

Posted by
7642 posts

Badger nailed it, choose the northern lights and freezing in the Winter or go in the Summer and see the amazing fjords. I suggest more than a week.

We did a fantastic cruise out of Copenhagen to six Norwegian ports that went all the way to the North Cape. Going up those fjords in a ship is special, then we get to a port and go through amazing mountain scenery.