Please sign in to post.

Norway in a Nutshell - 2023 report

I apologize for the delayed response.

Our August 2023 trip was spectacular. We were aware of the high probability of rain and prepared for it in our tours. The vr.no website and app will make it very easy to plan around the rain.

A note: we did not travel like Rick, but rather chose to splurge the entire time. We flew on Widerøe from Hamburg to Bergen and followed that with the train from the airport to downtown. We stayed at the Bergen Harbor Hotel one block from the base of the harbor and the Fisketorget. The hotel has a wonderful breakfast that is included; however, the rooms are small, especially the baths.

The Bergen card is well worth its use. We toured the following places: Hanseatic Museum, Gamle Bergen, Den Nationale Scene, Bergerhus Fortress, Bryggens Museum, Kode Art Museum, and Troldhaugen including the afternoon concert [excellent!]. We dined at the following: Fjåk Chocolate [hot chocolate and snacks], Bar Amundsen [whisky], Henrik Ølog Vinstove [craft beers], Bryggen Tracteursted, and Bryggdeloftet & Stuene. We chose to eat as much seafood as possible and Bergen delivered.

To take in the Norway in a Nutshell part of our trip, we personally booked individually each segment taking the early train from Bergen to Voss, bus from Voss to Gudvangen [by the time we got to a bus, they were all filled. However, the bus company brought on more buses to ensure everyone arrived at Gudvangen on time, not so worrisome], the fjord ferry Gudvangen to Fläm [had time to dine at Ægir Brewpub], the train from Fläm to Myrdal, and finally the train from Myrdal to Oslo. We arrived at Oslo at about 22:25.

We stayed at the Hotel Christiania Teater. It was fabulous and served a wonderful breakfast. In addition, above the first-floor breakfast room is an excellent pizza restaurant that was nice and quiet with a nice view.

We used the Oslo Pass and toured the following: Royal Palace for the changing of the guard, Vigeland Park, took the Hop-on bus to Bygdøy and toured: Norwegian Maritime Museum, Oskar Hall, and sat along the harbor for lunch at the Museum. Then we took the harbor ferry and toured: Opera House, Munch Museum, and the Tiger Statue.

Lastly, the train from downtown to the airport is very convenient, fast, and efficient.

Overall, we liked Bergen much more than Oslo; however, we want to see more of Norway on our next trip. Rick’s guide to Norway is much better than all the other guides available. We chose to not restrict our fun by being too strict with a schedule, but let the cities take us where the fun might be. So, we had a blast. I hope this was of some help and that you enjoy your travels.

Posted by
1 posts

Thank you so much for sharing! I’m adding the chocolate shop to my list of places to try!

Posted by
73 posts

Did you find it easy to book point to point on the NiN tour, rather then the Fjord Tour website? We are looking to do this between Oslo and Bergen and it's a little complicated (maybe I'm making it to hard). I have the RS book, and also looked at the Fjord Tour website.

Did you have a Rail Pass on your trip? If yes, which one?
And your suggestions about the Oslo Pass and Bergen Pass are good ones.

Thanks

Posted by
27374 posts

You can book the NiN components yourself as follows:

• Oslo to Flam train ticket from vy.no. This will include the mainline train to Myrdal and the Flamsbana. The Oslo-Mydal ticket will be cheaper if purchased well in advance, and those trains occasionally sell out. There are occasional reports that I nine tickets for the Flamsbana are sold out for individual departures.

• Naeroyfjord ferry ticket Flam to Gudvangen from NorwaysBest.com.

• Just pay the driver on the bus from Gudvangen to Voss.

• Voss to Bergen train ticket Voss to Bergen from vy.no. I don't think that fare changes; there's no rush to buy that ticket.

The Vy website doesn't like US credit cards. You'll probably need to use PayPal. Take your time reading the PayPal screens. You can use your credit card there if you want to, rather than debiting your bank account. You can--and should--pay in NOK rather than dollars. If you opt for dollars, PayPal will gleefully use a conversion rate to its benefit.

Posted by
20 posts

When doing the Flam- Myrdal journey, how much time is needed (if any) in Myrdal?

Basically, once you reach there, do you catch the next train back? Or is there anything there to spend time? Usually, the next train back is within 15 mins or so of arrival, or if you don't take that one, then the following one gives you close to 80 mins there.

Is there enough to do in Myrdal, or is the journey the main attraction and we should immediately turn back?
Thanks!

Posted by
8558 posts

I agree that seeing a little bit of Norway makes one want to see a lot of Norway!

Last summer I took a Princess Cruise, "Land of the Midnight Sun", that was 14 days out of Southampton round trip and went up the coast of Norway, past the Artic Circle and up past the North Cape. It was a great way to see some of the varied landscapes of Norway and was particularly affordable. I know other cruise lines do this as well including Hurtigruten and Havila. I think that a coastal cruise may be a great option for you to explore further north, way north.

Posted by
27374 posts

The journey from Flam to Myrdal (or vice versa) is the thing. I don't think there's much at Myrdal besides the train station; I didn't observe any reason to stick around there. There's decent casual food to be grabbed inside the station, and the price was very reasonable as of 2022.

Some folks like to rent bikes (I believe in Flam), take them up to Myrdal and ride down. There are also hiking opportunities in the area, and the little museum about the building of the Flamsbana is a good way to kill some time in Flam. It sells some souvenirs that are a lot more attractive than the generally-dreadful stuff for sale at the larger store in Flam.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you for the information! We will take the next train back to Flam.

Posted by
10 posts

Hello to all that responded and thanks for your quemments.

@betsyjaney - As acraven replied, vy.no using PayPal worked very well, but was overwhelming initially. I printed each leg receipt just in case a reservation got goofy. We did not purchase a rail pass but did purchase the Beren Card and Oslo Pass and attempted to use them as much as possible.

@LeoP - Myrdal is only a connecting station and we used it to continue on the Norway in a Nutshell rail tour to Oslo. The most frantic part was the top of Norway area near Finser. Beautiful and somewhere I was to venture on my next visit.

@Carol now retired - I have heard and read many great things about the Hurtigruten ships sailing up and down the Norway coast. I learned much from the Life in Norway podcast and highly recommend it. David is a great writer.

Okay. Happy Travels.

ckilly

Posted by
20 posts

I am getting a better deal for a package trip that includes Flamsbana + the Gudvangen Ferry + Bus from Norway's Best website vs the Vy.no site.

Is it safe to book the package from the Norway's best site?

Also, assuming these tickets are non-refundable? Are we just out of luck if something changes in our itinerary?

Posted by
129 posts

I found this very helpful in understanding the NIN and booking it on my own, which I just did. Keep in mind the tickets sell out quickly on some dates. There is also a link at the bottom of the video that brings you to a step by step instruction sheet with links to all of the booking sites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxua1U1Ke84