Please sign in to post.

Northern Lights

My wife and I are taking a cruise next September. We end up in Bergen the last week of the month, what are the chances we will see the northern lights? Thank you for your help.

Posted by
14995 posts

I have been to Iceland twice in October of different years to see the Northern lights. I got rained out both times. I go back again next week for a try.

So, the answer to your question is....nobody knows. It has to do with light activity and clear skies. Neither can be predicted this far in advance.

Posted by
6375 posts

It also has to do with latitude, and Bergen is too far south, so unfortunately the answer is probably not. Especially as the coastal areas can be rather cloudy and rainy in September. But, there is at least a small chance.

Posted by
2227 posts

Agree to Badger nut chances are really small - close to zero imo.

Also the info that Bergen is one of European cities with most days and amount of rain.

Posted by
8 posts

I have never been to Bergen and at the moment I'm planning to take a trip to this city in a few months.
According to the information that I'd found on the other forums the best time to see the Nothern Lights in Norway are late September, October, February and March. By the way, the weather in November, December and January can be bad enough to see the Nothern Lights. In theory there is a chance to enjoy it but finally, the weather will decide if you are lucky or not so much)

Posted by
2227 posts

But Bergen is very much in the South of Norway. NL are most likely to appear north of polar circle which is appr. 1000 km away.

So far I am not aware of any scientific research that would give a reason for the best or a more likely month between September and March.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you to everyone that has replied to our question, I appreciate you taking the time. Thanks to your posts I think we have a pretty good idea that are odds of seeing the northern lights in Bergen in late September are quite low. Happy travels!