Please sign in to post.

Lofoten

Lofoten is not mentioned in the RS Guidebook to Scandinavia but today I saw a picture of some of its landscapes from a Reddit post and it looks beautiful. Have you been there? How accessible is to from the mainland? I am interested in going to Norway next summer and that looks like a place I may want to include to visit. Thanks.

Posted by
8821 posts

The Lofoten Islands are absolutely stunning. I found myself surprised that such a lovely spot existed north of the Arctic Circle. When you stand at a sandy beach and gaze out upon the water, the geography actually made me think of Hawaii.

I visited on a cruise, so I am not much help on other transport methods. Perhaps you will find this website helpful.
https://guidetolofoten.com/getting-to-lofoten-islands/#

Posted by
2898 posts

The Lofoten islands are very beautiful, so are the Vesterålen islands and hidden tip Senja. Reinebringen is the spot for the most known photos of fit hikers. I explored it with a car which is very recommended (scenic route). Navigation is easy: finally you end up on street E10 and always have the choice between Å and Svolvær which is the largest village on the islands.

Mountains, green fields and white beaches in every wonderful composition. During a few weeks in summer you can experience midnight sun - in autumn and spring with some luck you can see Northern Lights in magical movements (photo from Sept 3 2016 near Svolvær). But always be careful with the weather which can easily become stormy and rainy.

Posted by
167 posts

Carol and Mark, thank you so much for the information and the links. It will be very helpful in planning for next summer. I just saw a few pictures online of it and thought it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I appreciate your insight.