Please sign in to post.

Itinerary feedback, please!

Hi there! My husband and I are going to be in Norway for about two weeks in early-mid July. I'm definitely the planner of the couple, and have been trying to set up a good itinerary for our trip. Our plan currently doesn't involve renting a car, but uses ferries, bus, and train to get around. I could be convinced that getting one would be a good idea, if there's a place people think that would be a good option. Thanks so much in advance!

Day 1 (after an overnight in Reykjavik) Arrive in Bergen late afternoon

Day 2 Bergen, explore town

Day 3 Bergen, get out of the center a bit - maybe a lunch concert at Grieg House?

Day 3 early NOR-WAY bussekpress trip to Haugesund, arrive ~11am (my family is originally from there and I'd like to look around for an afternoon - any suggestions on things to do/see?). Depart Haugesund ~5pm, NOR-WAY bussekpress to Stavanger, arrive ~7pm.

Day 4 GoFjord's Fjord Cruise & Preikestolen Hike tour

Day 5 Early (7am) ferry from Stavanger to Bergen (arrive 12:30pm)

Day 6 Start Sognefjord in a Nutshell tour - ferry from Bergen (8am) to Balestrand (12pm), explore Balestrand and have a nice dinner

Day 7 Ferry from Balestrand (12pm) to Flam (1:40pm). Drop off luggage, and take train to Myrdal (2:10pm). Bike from Myrdal to Flam. Floating sauna in evening.

Day 8 Finish Sognefjord in a Nutshell tour, arrive in Oslo (3pm)

Day 9 Museum day in Oslo (probably get a 24hr Oslo card)

Day 10 Oslo - maybe a day trip to Tusenfryd? (husband loves amusement parks)

Day 11 (Saturday) Vestkanttorvet flea market in the morning, explore Oslo

Day 12 Maybe the Sunday market in Bla, explore some outer Oslo neighborhoods

Day 13 Return home

Edited to add: One thought I have is, on Day 5, taking the 4:30pm boat from Bergen to Balestrand and then spending two nights in Balestrand. This would cut a somewhat superfluous night in Bergen, and give us additional time in the Sognefjord. Between that and that Stavanger to Bergen, however, that makes for almost 10hrs on a boat in one day - would that be horrendous?

Posted by
27112 posts

I doubt that it would be horrendous, but it might be rather boring. I've found more than 2 hours at a time on a boat can be a bit much, but my scenic-boat experiences have not involved Norway up to this point.

Spending time in Balestrand really complicates things, but that's probably the main reason it is (reportedly) still so attractive. Otherwise, it would have turned into Flam2, I suppose.

What route do you plan to take between Flam and Oslo on Day 8?

If you haven't booked rooms in Balestrand and Flam, you need to do that now.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks, acraven! I have our night in Flam booked, but will jump on the Balestrand one as soon as we decide on 1 night vs 2. After Flam, the trip to Oslo will be a reverse version of the Norway in a Nutshell tour - Flamsbana train to Mydral, and then train from Myrdal to Oslo. I appreciate your suggestions!

Posted by
1367 posts

Two full days in Bergen is plenty and there's lots of hiking in Balestrand. So although it would be a very long day on ferries, I would personally continue on to Balestrand on day 5 and spend two nights there. At least on the ferries you can walk around, get something to eat, etc.

Look into the Vigeland Sculpture Park while in Oslo.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks, Trotter! I think we will go with the two nights in Balestrand plan. One night hotel stays can be so draining, I think it will be worth it to have a long travel day. Plus, it sounds like both ferries have good wifi - my husband and I are both taking classes over the summer, so it could be good opportunity to get caught up while on our trip.