Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Oslo

Planning a trip to Norway in late August 2024.

Beloved spouse tried to book a hotel near the train station in Oslo. She reports that the four hotels that she tried show no availability. (She tried the hotels that were recommended in another thread on this forum. )

Is there something going on in Oslo in August that has taken up all the hotel rooms? Are the hotels not accepting reservations this far out? Is she looking in the wrong place or using the wrong tool? Please advise.

She’s feeling urgency because some of the AirBnBs she was looking at in Flam and Bergen have been booked already. Planning is somewhat complicated because the group is four couples arriving from different places in the US and UK.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Posted by
6399 posts

The easiest way to get an answer is probably to contact the hotels.

Posted by
27122 posts

There's a world of difference between Flam/Bergen and Oslo. Oslo is a business city that often has good deals on nice, business-class hotels in the summer. If a lot of the places near the train station are booked up, that suggests you may be bumping up against a special event of some sort. (I checked; it's not Taylor.)

I do my preliminary research on booking.com and sometimes make my reservations there--though this year I'm finding direct booking more consistently produces savings. If you are looking at chain hotels, you'll probably save an extra 5% or so by joining their affinity group.

I just looked at a random 2-night stay in late August and found the number of available hotels dropped sharply when I insisted on air conditioning. I guess a/c's not all that common in Oslo. I'd suggest looking at Oslo's actual, historical, day-by-day weather statistics for August over five or so recent years on the website timeanddate.com. Perhaps you'll determine you don't need air conditioning, which might open up a lot more possibilities. I don't know why Oslo's August data for 2021-2023 is missing, but here's August 2020.

Oslo weather -- August 2020

Use the pull-down box at the right, just above the graph, to change the month and year displayed.

Posted by
32 posts

You might try signing up for different hotels memberships which are free, but you get better prices and availability. Try Thon Hotels, we are going to Scandinavia in August/Sept., also - I joined Thon Hotel Membership - got better rates than I found on any other website. I made sure to book the category that was free cancellation and included breakfast.
Good luck!

Posted by
11159 posts

We had a great stay at the Grand Hotel in Oslo. Large room, very good breakfast. Short walk from airport train. Good luck finding four rooms! We really enjoyed Oslo.

Posted by
57 posts

Highly recommend the Thon Hotel Cecil in Oslo. Excellent location and friendly, helpful staff. All the Thon hotels have great breakfasts and afternoon lounge amenities like tea and snacks. Would stay there again—as well as the Thon Rosenkrantz in Bergen. Excellent value.

Posted by
141 posts

I second The Grand in Oslo if you can get a room. Very comfortable, clean, quiet, and has air-conditioning. It is not common at all to find a/c in lodgings in Norway. It was an easy walk four our family from the hotel to the train station in the early morning when we were starting our Norway in a Nutshell part of our journey.

Posted by
2130 posts

We stayed at the Thon Opera Hotel. Great location right outside of the train station. Great included breakfast buffet.