Please sign in to post.

Help with driving/ferry route alternatives: Norway July 2025

We're planning a driving trip to Norway for July 2025, and are trying to figure out how to best do a couple portions of the journey. We have a couple questions - any insight you may have is appreciated!

1: Any thoughts comparing a) Taking the Gundaven car ferry to Kaupanger and driving to Sogndalsfjøra/Solvorn; versus b) Doing the cruise between Gundaven and Flam w/ a bus ride back, then drive to Stegastin and along Aurlandsfjellet to ferry to Mannheller, then driving to Sogndalsfjøra/Solvorn. We like to see as much as possible but weren't sure about the time and effort required for option b).

I don’t believe there will be cruise ships in Flam on the day we’d arrive and it looks like there are only two scheduled car ferries from Gundvagen to Kaupanger - 12:45 and 18:15 (the latter departure would make for too long a day).

2: Is it worthwhile to take the Geiranger – Trollstigen Scenic Route from Geiranger to Trollstigen car park/Outer viewpoint and return back to Geiranger (which would total about 3.5 hours of driving)? Is there a high chance that bad weather will obscure the scenic drive and Trollstigen view?

Thank you!

Posted by
2898 posts

1) is for me not a or b; it is part of b then a: do Flam and Stegastein in the morning and after this b. That's what I did once. Ferry reservation is needed for car transport.

2) Visiting Trollstigen makes only sense if you plan to drive the serpentines which is the main part of the experience. Yes, worth the way.

Is there a high chance that bad weather will obscure the scenic drive and Trollstigen view?

Nobody can say this. I drove this route in sunshine, rain and thick fog (photo).
On www.yr.no you can research weather statistics if this helps you.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for your reply. We'll be driving that morning from Bergen, and we were concerned that we may not have enough time in the day to reach Stegastin viewpoint and back to Gundaven in time to catch the 12:45 car ferry to Kaupanger.

Posted by
2898 posts

I drove from Myrkdalen Hotel (much closer) when I remember correctly. The advantage of visiting Stegastein in the morning is the stand of the sun. You will get photo light from the back. Panorama photo looks like this.