Please sign in to post.

Electrical Adapters for Norway and Iceland

I've done online research regarding electrical adapters, but I'm confused. I don't need a converter, but I'm trying to determine what adapters I will need.

I've read that Norway has both C and F plugs--does that mean I will need to buy two types of adapters for my visit to Norway? Is there a specific plug or plugs I should order (e.g., from Amazon) for Norway?

As for Iceland, I gather I should buy Schuko plugs, which I've found on Amazon. These are different from what I need for Norway, correct?

Posted by
5837 posts

The Type C (two round pins) is fine for ungrounded appliances that can take 240 volt power. If you need to ground, the Type F would be appropriate.

Posted by
884 posts

You will find that high wattage required travel items - curling irons, hair dryers, etc don't work well with standard adapters.
Charging your phone, laptop, tablet, ipods (am I dating myself?) etc won't be a problem in either country.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks, Edgar. If I understand you correctly, I need to bring a set of C adapters and another set of F adapters to Norway because of the differences in plugs there.

As I mentioned, I'll apparently need Schuko adapters for Iceland. Do Schuko adapters work for either C or F plugs?

Posted by
5837 posts

You only need the Type F (also called Schuko) if your appliance is grounded. Herre in North America, the ground (earth) pin is the round third pin. The Type F ground conductors are flat and along the side of the plug. See:
Note that the Type F conductors are the "two 4.8 mm round pins spaced 19 mm apart".

You can limit yourself to the Type C (Europlug) if you do not need to ground your appliance. I.e. our Apple iPhone only has two conductors. See: Note that the Type C plug's conductors are "4.0 – 4.8 mm round contacts on 19 mm centres", essentially matching the Type F conductors.