Please sign in to post.

Driving in Norway

We are in planning stages of a trip to Norway in 2024. We are planning to do something like the RS tour route, meaning basically Oslo through Lillehammer to Lom area, down to Sognefjord (probably Kaupanger), ferry to Gudvangen, then to Bergen.

Can anyone comment, I have been told that driving in Norway is "scary" due to narrow, windy, steep roads. Is this true or is it manageable for average driver?

Thanks

Posted by
2 posts

Driving in Norway is not scary and it’s a wonderful way to see the country. We rented a car in Stockholm, toured Sweden, then went into Norway including, Trondheim, Molde, Geiranger, Balestrand, Bergen and Oslo. Returned car in Gothenburg, Sweden. Be sure to get an AutoPass either at rental agency or by going to the website autopass.no. No toll takers except on ferries. Just cameras and other automated devices. Big bucks will catch up with you after trip if you cruise the highways without paying at toll time! Enjoy the ride, Norway is beautiful!

Posted by
353 posts

I really hope a lot of responses come in on this one. I, too, am interested to hear opinions on the roads/driving in Norway. We will be in Bergen and Flam next week. We chose to rent a car in Flam for 2 of our 5 days there (public transport the other 3 days in the area as well as our 3 days in Bergen). While I selfishly hope some responses come in prior to our rental next week, I will bookmark this and post our 2 day driving experience in the Sognefjord area when we return.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks Jay, have a nice trip and looking forward to your report.
-Ron

Posted by
592 posts

We have rented a car for fifteen nights in September starting and returning to the Oslo airport. Feel free to ask us in October how it went;)

Posted by
6337 posts

Scary? I guess it depends on how easily frightened you are. But in general I'd say no. Assuming it is a summer trip, driving in the winter is something completely different.

However, there are a lot of very narrow, very winding and very steep roads in Norway. Outside the Oslo area motorways are more or less non-existant and even the main roads usually have only one, often narrow, lane in each direction.

Posted by
6337 posts

Another thing, learn the traffic laws and follow them to the letter. Not doing so can get very expensive, traffic fines in Norway are no joke.

A few examples: Using your cell phone while driving, 9,700 kr (≈€820), and speeding tickets can be up to 15,100 kr (≈€1270).

Posted by
353 posts

As a follow up, we rented a car in Flam yesterday and today. Our driving was limited to Flam, Aurland, and that general vicinity on the Aurlandsfjord area. Overall, driving was easy in this area. Little traffic and most of the roads were wide enough. More roundabouts vs. traffic lights. Our rental did include driving up the one lane, two way cliff side road up to the Stegastein Lookout. A bit of white knuckle driving but I feel the vast majority of the drivers were conscientious and the drive up and down was great. I learned that the Laeldal (Foder’s-Norled) ferry to Mannheller over the Sognefjord runs every 20 minutes and you simply drive on and they automatically bill you via your license plate number via your car rental. I am glad we rented a car for 2 of our 5 days as public transportation in the area has been pretty tough to come by for us (the full schedule seems to hit on June 1st). It was good to get out without having to rely on a less than full public transportation network running.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you for the update and glad it worked out. I think we are moving ahead with our car rental plan. Thanks!