Please sign in to post.

Copenhagen or Stockholm

We are planning a winter trip next year (March 2018) where we will be "hitting the ground running"

Day 1 - NY - Oslo
Day 2 - Oslo to Tromso
Day 3 - Tromso
Day 4 - Tromso to Bergen
Day 5 - Bergen
Day 6 - Norway in a Nutshell - ending in Oslo
Day 7 - Oslo

For Day 8 and Day 9, would you recommend Denmark or Stockholm? We fly home on Day 10.

Thanks for all the advice!

Posted by
5835 posts

SAS hubs from CPH. You may get better (cheaper) air travel buying a multi-destination ticket New York to OSL to CPH to New York. You could also do CPH as a stop on you outbound to OSL if the air schedule works better.

Posted by
1743 posts

Travel logistics aside (assuming you can fly home from either CPH or ARN), there's no right answer to your question. Both Copenhagen and Stockholm are great cities worth visiting. Stockholm is bigger and would be harder to get a full experience of in two days (minus travel time). If you do Copenhagen, you could take an overnight ferry at the end of day 7 and have two full days there. I don't know if there's an overnight train from Oslo to Stockholm, and if you have to take part of day 8 to travel to Stockholm, you're really cutting your time in Stockholm to a bare minimum. So Copenhagen might work out better.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for your reply. I have looked into the Ferry and was thinking the same; just want to ensure since it's March that this makes sense. Any other advice on the itinerary is appreciated! This is our first time to Scandinavia.

Posted by
16893 posts

There's no overnight train on either route. Daytime train Oslo-Stockholm takes 5.5 hours with views of trees and lakes. I've slept well on overnight ferries with a reserved cabin, similar to the Oslo-Copenhagen service.

Posted by
1279 posts

HI - last year we did this trip, which was sensational. We few to Oslo from the UK (where we live), caught the train to Bergen the following day (fantastic!) and then the next day after taking in Bergen, caught the Hurtigruten (Norwegian post boats) line (daily sailings) up the coast to Tromso, and then, after overnighting in Tromso, flew back to Oslo and thence home.

Pace was relaxed, we got off the boat for an excursion from the foot of Gerainjerfjord to the Trollstigen pass (rejoined our ship - the Polarlys - at Molde). We spent an interesting couple of hours in Trondheim and in Svolvaer, capital of the Lofoten Islands - this followed by a brilliant sail to the bottom of Trollfjord at nearly midnight, although because of the distance north it was as bright as mid afternoon. We were lucky with the weather and were still in the Polarlys's viewing lounge at 2.00 am. Still light, it felt like early evening! The sun never set. Wonderful.

We enjoyed this trip immensely and heartily recommend it. We booked it via a local travel agent near where we lived. I was worried I'd be bored on the ship, but they work hard all the time to keep you entertained and occupied, (if you can get on one of the 'expedition' ships, so much the better) plus there are several stops a day where you can get off the ship and have a look round - only warning is be back on the ship before sailing time! It doesn't wait for you and will sail on time without you as one tardy French couple (almost) discovered!

We didn't go on to anywhere in Denmark or Sweden afterwards. Lucky enough to live fairly close by, we plan a trip to Copenhagen in May for my wife's birthday.

If I can be off any further help send me a personal message. Whichever route you go, have a great time - we did!

Ian

Posted by
1279 posts

I should add we travelled in June. In March the days will be much shorter, but on the plus side there'll be more chance of seeing the Northern Lights and the landscape will be snowier!

Ian

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you Ian. Your trip sounded fantastic. Our plans for March are so we can hopefully catch the Northern Lights in Tromso. I will definitely look more closely at your trip. All the best!

Posted by
16 posts

Ian and Julie - any 'must sees' on your way down the coast?
Pmelleby - also looking into this trip for next March, with both Copenhagen and Stockholm. (We have a few extra days.) Are you flying or cruising from North to South. I can't decide. Don't want to miss beautiful geography, but don't want to waste time either. Thoughts?