Please sign in to post.

Bus from Voss to Gudvangen

We are staying in Voss overnight before taking the ferry tour from Gudvangen to Flam. We want to catch the noon ferry, and there are several options for buses going from Voss to Gudvangen: Skyss, Nor-way Bussekspress, Norway's Best, and Vy, with varying lengths of travel. Wondering if there are any opinions as to which would be best?

Posted by
27144 posts

I suspect Skyss has more departures than the others. It's the company I used. The traditional Nutshell itinerary includes Skyss Bus 950, which as of last summer was including a short detour to the Stalheim Hotel and a brief photo stop there. A few years ago the Bus 950 route was even more different from the route taken by other Voss-Gudcangen buses, but storm damage has closed the scenic road that used to be part of the route.

If your schedule is tight or none of the Bus 950 departures will work for you, I assume there's no problem with any of the other options. However, I believe a special effort is made to align the schedule for Bus 950 with other components of the Nutsshell trip

Posted by
6418 posts

The Skyss bus is your best bet. It ends in Voss and takes you all the way to the ferry.

Nor-way and Vy are long distance buses that stops at the main road. It's only 400 m or so from the port, so perfectly walkable, but it's a bit nicer to actually get to where the ferry docks.

Norway's Best does not run any buses. But they are happy to sell you tickets to Skyss' buses, and charge you 50% extra for it.