Thanks MarkK & Edgar for the suggestions. Was distracted for a few days with other work.
I also went through some of the links you posted. Based on those, I have several ways to spend the 3 days after spending the first day in Oslo. Each option has its own pros / cons ... so not sure which one to go for.
@Edgar - As far as your suggestion about ditching the car, I have tried to create an option like that ... but may be hard. We are travelling as a Family of 4 (2 kids) .. so we will have non trivial amount of luggage. Having said that, I found that NiN has a luggage service - they will deliver your suitcases at the designated hotel for a price.
- I saw that most of the scenic routes are in & around Bergen. I also liked the Hardanger route & would want to do that.
- As to your point about the Cruise ships, looks like both Sat & Sun there are 2 ships each. Guess can't avoid them. Does it get too crowded because of the ships. I will off course book my Ferry & train tickets way in advance.
- Any chance I can creatively add Pulpit Rock / Stavanger to this ? The pictures look amazing.
Here are the options I came up with - Please comment on which one below seems practical / do-able
Option-1 : SAT: Drive to Flam; take Flam Railway both ways. Sleep in Flam. SUN: Do the Fjords; come back to Flam; pickup car & drive to Bergen - sleep there. MON: Scenic Route - Hardangar + other ? TUE: Morning see Bergen; afternoon take flight out
Option-2 : SAT: Drive to Bergen & do Scenic Route - Hardangar; Sleep in Bergen. SUN: Do classic NiN from Bergen & back to Bergen & sleep there MON: Other scenic routes ? or go to pulpit rock
Option-3 : SAT: Do the classic NiN starting from Oslo & ending in Bergen SUN: Rent a Car in Bergen & Do Scenic Route - Hardangar; Sleep in Bergen. MON: Other scenic routes ? or go to pulpit rock
Option-4 : Modification of Option-3 above. Add a night halt in Flam on Sat ... Continue with NiN on Sunday ending in Bergen. MON: Rent a car from Bergen & travel some of the scenic routes.
-Option-2 - seems to be very ambitious with a lot of driving on SAT.
- Similarly Option-3 seems cramped on Sat.
- I am leaning more towards Option-1 OR Option-4.
Thoughts ? And how do I improve upon these ?