Please sign in to post.

best place to stay overnight along Norway in a Nutshell?

Hi we will be traveling with our parents and want to break the NIN up a bit so they can rest and really enjoy the sites. They've always wanted to see the area -where would be the most scenic/best place to stay along the way? Want to make it a really special trip for them so trying to put a few things together for it and would appreciate any input from those who have done this. Thanks so much!

Posted by
8141 posts

We just went all the way in one day from Oslo to Bergen. The ride down into the fjords on the Flam Railroad was really our favorite part of the trip.
The second half of the trip was on the fast ferry which was very smooth and restful. And we really enjoyed our two days in Bergen too.

Posted by
471 posts

I've been planning a trip along these lines. I gotta tell you, just looking at the NiN itineraries makes me tired. It seems like a marathon of transfers combined with a lot of baggage schlepping. I considered an overnight in Flam to break it up but the hotels seem so expensive. Perhaps if we had some strong kids coming with us, my sister and I could get more enthused. We're not old but we do like to pace ourselves.

We're opting for an Airbnb in Bergen with day trips. How that's all going to come together, we'll see. If we end up doing a Bergen to Bergen NiN during one long day, at least we'll come back to a settled place, a couch, our jammies and a cold beer. I've got four months to finish planning!

I'd love to hear what you end up doing.

Posted by
119 posts

We did NIN a few months ago: One night at the Flåmsbrygga Hotel in Flåm is worthwhile. The hotel is charming, and the restaurant and brewpub are worth an evening. Otherwise, our opinion is there is no reason to stop overnight on the NIN tour.

I don’t know if they will be visiting Oslo and Bergen, but if they do there are a variety of hotels and restaurants to enjoy. In Bergen, we loved the Bergen Bors Hotel, and enjoyed Bryggen Trateursted, the oldest restaurant in Bergen. In Oslo, we had a fabulous lunch at Grefsenkollen Restaurant... overlooking the city and the fjord. (Take a cab though because it’s really at the top of the mountain.)

Hope this is helpful.

Posted by
1366 posts

Bergen is a good choice for architecture and history. There’s a stave church and the Edvard Grieg house - I believe there’s a concert there on some days. If anyone is into whiskey the Terminus Hotel has what is purported to be the largest whiskey collection.
Balestrand might also be an option. The Kvikness Hotel puts on an amazing breakfast and dinner. If hiking is an option there are numerous hiking trails from the hotel. The town itself is pretty small.

Posted by
5835 posts

We did the NiN during our first trip to Norway in 2001. Back then one NiN option advertised was to do the NiN Oslo to Bergen and return to Oslo vis night train in less than 24 hours. We did it a more relaxing way with an overnight stop in Voss before continuing to Bergen for two nights before returning to Oslo. We were booked in the same Oslo hotel before and after our NiN excursion and were able to leave our skis and other gear in the Oslo hotel's left luggage store room and could do the NiN with our backpacks.

We stayed at the historic Fleischer's Hotel a very short walk from the train/bus station. The hotel's breakfast buffet was impressive both in food and in the architecture of the breakfast room.

https://www.historichotelsworldwide.com/hotels-resorts/fleischers-hotel/

For over 120 years, Fleischer’s Hotel has been a cultural treasure for
prominent guests wanting to indulge in a fairytale experience
surrounded by Norway’s natural wonders. Fredirk Lyth Ørum Fleischer
opened the hotel in 1864, and it has been operated by five generations
of Fleischers. The Swiss-style hotel with its towers and spires
entertained royalty for decades, and the hotel walls showcase
artifacts and documents of esteemed guests, including an original
signed guestbook, diplomas, and even the private toilet of Emperor
Willhelm II of Germany. Throughout its celebrated history, the hotel
has remained a coveted location for a luxury vacation.

Posted by
15003 posts

I stayed at the Fretheim Hotel in Flam. Very nice hotel with an excellent buffet dinner. A two minute walk to the bus/ferry. It's about halfway on the tour and I'm glad I broke it up into two days.

I had a room on the top floor facing the fjords. The view was amazing. I got an early morning ferry and it wasn't very crowded. (May). I did the tour from Oslo to Bergen.

Posted by
11156 posts

I think I read that luggage forwarding is available for NIN.