So we (wife and two kids 11 and 13) have a two week trip in mind, flying in and out of Bergen from Seattle. We want to start the trip with a couple easy days in Bergen while adjusting to time change, then 5 or so days touring the fjord country north and east of Bergen via car. We then want to end with 4-5 days in Lofoten - perhaps flying from Trondheim (or Alesund?) to Bodo after our fjord area driving tour. I'm thinking we'd then take the Bodo ferry and rent another car in Moskenes, then drop car and return via ferry back to Bodo to catch a flight back to Bergen to fly home.
1. How/where would you best spend the 5 days in the fjords? North to and along Balestrand/Loen/Geiranger areas as a general itinerary before driving to Trondheim (or Alesund) to fly up to Bodo?
2. Does flying to and back out from Bodo make sense? Seems airfare from Trondheim is pretty straight forward as well as the return from Bodo to Bergen to catch our flight home. Alesund to Bodo seems more challenging which is why I'm looking at Trondheim (but I am a little concerned about the long drive there from Gieranger area).
3. NIN out of Flam - skip it?
4. Other/better/more scenic routes to spend from Bergen to Geiranger area before ending in Trondheim (or Alesund)?
5. Good family friendly towns/hotels to consider in the fjord areas?
Thanks for any input and your expert guidance!