Please sign in to post.

Bergen Hotel

We are going to be on a Steves tour which ends on June 15th in Bergen Norway and were planning on staying at the same hotel for an additional night. They have told me that it is totally booked. It is the Thon Hotel Orion. Could any of you suggest an alternative? We are flying out of Bergen the next morning so I also thought we might stay close to the airport?? Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Posted by
11156 posts

We stayed in Hotel Neptun, not fancy but nice enough. ask for a room in the newer wing, no comparison to the older rooms.

Posted by
882 posts

I have stayed at the Hotel Grand Terminus in Bergen. It is a 1.4 km walk from the Thon Orion, and it's located next to the train station in Bergen. It is an old railway hotel with lots of charm - and their breakfast offerings are considerable. Light rail is available across the street from the train station and a bus terminal is around the corner as are taxis.
I checked their website just now.....a June 15th stay is approximately $175. Needless to say, there are hotels near the airport, but I'm not familiar with them. The airport is located away from the "old town" portion of Bergen, so, if you elect to stay near the airport you will have removed yourself from downtown. We selected the Grand Terminus as we began and ended the fabled "Norway in a Nutshell" from Bergen, which is a delightful city.

Posted by
8141 posts

The citizens of Bergen are as beautiful as I've ever seen, and such sweet people. Very tall, slim and blonde.
I'd try to stay close to the harbor.

Posted by
60 posts

I stayed at the Clarion Admiral across the harbor from the Thon-Orion. I'd echo the sentiments of the earlier posters in that it's not fancy but nice enough, will probably cost more as a downtown vice airport hotel (and more in June than I paid in May), and I'd stay at the harbor in lieu of an airport hotel even with the higher cost. I had a harbor view room with a balcony. Very relaxing to sit out on the balcony, wine in hand, admiring the view and watching time go by. It's also a short walk (~1/4-mile) to the Torget flybussen stop.

Posted by
17 posts

We stayed at the Thon Rosenkrantz, which is just a few blocks from the Orion. Great location, clean and well appointed rooms.

Posted by
14988 posts

I also stayed at the Clarion Admiral and it was nice. For breakfast you can sit on the terrace overlooking the harbour. There were many places to eat within a few minutes of the hotel ringing the harbor. The airport bus is a five minute walk away.

I stayed at the above hotel a few nights but prior to my very early morning flight out of Bergen, I spent the night before at the Clarion Bergen Airport Hotel. It was next to the terminal and a 7 minute walk.

Posted by
36 posts

I can't thank all of you enough for taking the time to reply to my inquiry. We have an early flight and have decided to spend the night at the airport. Again, thanks so much. As Rick would say, keep on traveling.