Please sign in to post.

Bergen and Fjords

We are flying into Bergen in late August and have 3 days to explore. Am wondering about how much time to devote to the town and contemplating a trip to Balestrad for an overnight or maybe two? I see there is an express boat from Bergen to Balestrad so that would leave us most of the day to relax and enjoy the small town. However, I see that in Rick's book he recommends 2 nights to be able to really relax or explore the beauty. Am interested on the best way to see the fjords and how much time to devote to this area. We have 11 days in Norway but are headed to visit family in Drammen after our fjord visit. Thanks in advance for ideas!

Posted by
862 posts

I am going to Bergen in May 2020. We are staying in Bergen for 4 nights (3 days) and are looking at spending one day in Bergen itself, one day on the Hardangerford scenic route (by public buses) and final day maybe a cruise - not sure yet as we have a cruise to Geirangerfjord from Alesund later in our trip.

Posted by
11 posts

We are doing something similar in June, with a few more days than you have. We will have a day and a half-2 days in Bergen and will take the fast ferry to Balestrand for two nights. A couple of thoughts: The fast ferry takes about four hours, so keep that in mind. Coming and going is an 8 hour trip--although the scenery is well worth it in my mind. If you take the early ferry and stay one night, you could take the later ferry the next day coming back, giving you more time in Balestrand. We are staying two nights there and plan to rent ebikes and spend a day along the fjord, do a bit of hiking... Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
49 posts

Frabarr, what is the name of the ferry company that goes to Balestrand? Thank you!

Posted by
60 posts

The Norled express ferry ("hurtigbåt") operates year-round (the Bergen-Sogn-Flåm-Bergen route is the one I think you're interested in, Sheila?). Timetables will change with the season. There is also the Flåm express boat which operates in the summer (June 22 - August 14 this year) from Flåm to Balestrand with several stops in between.